Shipping a boat from the US

Can anyone give me any info on getting a boat to Van Island from the US? Logistics, cost, taxes, etc.? Been looking for a bigger boat for a while now and only ever seem to find close to what I'm looking for (Grady 232) on the east coast of the states (Florida, etc.).
Thanks

My guess is you are probably looking at US$1 - US$1.50 per mile for that size boat. Check out uShip and you can find quotes for similar size boats for cross country trips. Should be able to get it in the lower end of that range if you are flexible with timing so the shipper can arrange a haul back to spread out their costs. That also assumes the boat comes a roadworthy trailer that the shipper is happy to haul. If it were me, I would have a spare wheel/bearing assembly attached on the trailer and ready to go.

If you are using the shipper's trailer, you'll probably be in the top end of that range but you won't have to go through the process of importing the trailer (which isn't really a big deal, but adds another step to getting your boat here).

You may want to pick the boat up in Blaine/Bellingham . I recently had a boat hauled from South Carolina and the shippers wanted double the rate for any mileage in Canada as they had to subcontract to a Canadian driver insured for that leg of the journey. I had my boat dropped off in Blaine last Thursday and brought it up on the water on Friday (coldest day in the last four years!).

You won't pay any taxes on the shipping part, just sales tax (both GST and PST) on the purchase price when bringing the boat into Canada. If you bring the boat in by water, you can do this over the phone from the designated CBSA dock at your first port of call. Took me 10 minutes.

Check out www.thehulltruth.com if you haven't already for recommendations on shippers (and the buy and sell section as well - there is a 2006 GW Gulfstream in SC that has been for sale since September). That's where I found my boat and the shipper I ended up using (Flynn Marine) which I was very happy with and would recommend.

dont forget a 232 is classed as oversize down there as well, make sure the transporter allows for state permits,
mine was 3400 from Hilton head to Blaine where I met the driver and pulled it the rest of the way,
you can Broker it yourself at the boarder very easily and be across in a matter of minutes

Just had one shipped from Florida a Grady 228 I used DNR transport I paid 1.37 a mile, there are cheaper guys out there but Capp has a good track record and would not hesitate to use him again if I needed.

Got our Grady 232 out of Boston , about 2 years ago. $4800UsD to Blaine. We used uship , highly recommend as long as the transporter has a good history. Is it on a trailer ? If so all those miles can really take it toll , I suggest letting the transporter use one of their trailers. As long as all your paperwork and taxes are paid you can just boat up. If you have nexus its an easy phone call to cbsa and you just have to boat to a trusted location ,there's no need to go to the port of Vancouver.

I second Cap from DNRtransport

Can be. I bought a 2002 G3 175 on a trailer with a 70hp Yamaha in great condition for $2500 US + $2500CAD shipping from New Jersey. $6450 landed total CAD. I sold the Boat for $11,000 CAD a few months later.

Did I get lucky with an honest seller and a great deal upfront? Absolutely. But deals are out there if you put in the time and ready to pounce quickly.

Attachments

• G3 4.jpg
    G3 4.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 51
Just some advice... It's been said before by others and I would say it again. Be wary buying a boat sight unseen. It's incredible how good it can look online especially when pics are 5-10' back.

I purchased my previous boat in the States however I was able to view it in person first. Amazing how many little flaws I found that weren't seen in the pics or weren't described.

Lots of boats for sale in WA, OR and CA. a good look at pics and a survey first then drive down and get it yourself. You still have that final look at it with your own eyes before you commit. And most west coast boats aren't hurricane specials.

Here's a example of a boat out of the states.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/5913183092.html

$13500 with the exchange. There are two like this in victoria right now for $28000-30000!

Just a example of how overpriced our boats are here on the island...

Not to hijack the thread but because I am keeping my eye open for a boat like this, aren't there bayliners like this and better on usedvictoria and other parts of BC and AB for less, if your time and the risk is factored in? I agree people are a little unrealistic about getting our "sunk cost" out of a boat, it is amazing how many people list having a replaced transom or a battery as if they are features like radar or kicker (something worth paying a premium for in my opinion).

I think the wide variation in Island pricing is that people who are asking too much for their boats are the ones that stay listed, as we have lower storage and moorage cost then Virginia or NJ so many sellers are not motivated to sell, and everything well maintained and priced right sells quickly? I agree with tightlines about inspecting a boat, few boats would stand up to the eyes of an experience marine mechanic as being great deals.

Sure there are deals such as the G2 but there are steals that happen on the island and in Van as well.

I just hope people keep importing and fixing up nice boats so the prices equalize between the US and BC so I don't have to become an international boat broker just because I have 2 footitis.

I can't think of a more expensive place to buy a boat than southern Vancouver Island. Great place to sell one though...

I'm not so sure. These boats have some similarities and differences but if you showed up with cash and did the hard numbers it might not be worth leaving the island. These are not the exact same series and years, also one of the autopilots or GPS may be worth "5k" either way. By buying local you are saving a hell of a lot over new and you aren't dealing with the logistics of getting a marine survey, doing a sea trial, making sure everything is shipped. If you have two weeks to kill in southern Florida or fly to the east coast of the US often for business it may be easy but arbitrage ain't easy.

66k - 5k trailer and - 4k kicker= 57k http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/1999-Grady-White-Sailfish-274_27964802
33k + 4k in shipping =37k http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...4923/Deltaville/VA/United-States#.WGRbCXQrLRZ
Some would say you could save 20k going to the US, but you might be able to get the Victoria one for 55 or the one in the US for cheaper and there could be 10k in extras in the Victoria boat. But then again, neither show their hours, if they were moored half their life or ever damaged.

89k http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Grady-White-Sailfish_28679790
94k http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...6646/Charleston/SC/United-States#.WGRVYXQrLRY
Both are lower hour boats, without trailers? Canvas...etc.

There are lots of cheap boats listed in the States but with our low dollar I don't see the savings I did 4-5 years ago.

Agree kael that the USD rate has narrowed the gap considerably, and that shipping from the east coast is a lot of cash. Also agree that there's no substitute for seeing the boat yourself. It's a mistake to think things are automatically cheaper in the US - or Canada. In the used market, you don't have an apples to apples comparison because of the huge variations in equipment, condition, age and power. I still think a wise shopper should consider at least Washington and possibly Oregon as part of the territory they cover when looking online for used boats.

Back