Shawnigan quarry

R

rico

So I was out motorbiking with my son, and we decided to go to the shawnigan lake quarry. Someone out there told me that there used to be some sort of fish farm out there. I began to wonder if there are any fish in there? Pretty clear and clean looking water. I know there are crayfish, but I didnt see any sign of fish. Anyone know?

Years ago there was a private trout farm in there. This was about 25 years ago. Someone cut the nets and the fish were free to swim around. We used to catch lots of big trout in there. Some up to about four pounds. The smallest sized zzinger was our choice of lure. After a number of years it was sort of fished out, and went dormant. As the years passed, the aquatic life grew and varried. It was virtually a sterile environment when it filled with water.

Most recently, I think about ten years ago, I heard there were Atlantic Salmon smolts in there. I personally haven't fished there in about 15 years, so some of my later information may be a little sketchy. I would head out there and try it. What have you got to lose besides a day of fishing? Good luck, and let me know how you did.

Dave

Well, the plan was for my son and I (6 yrs ), to ride our 50's to oliphant with a rod in my back pack. He is a total fishaholic. When we got to the gate, it was open. I unloaded the bikes, and then a big dump truck comes flying out. The truck stops, and the driver says to us that there will be trucks coming in and out all day, and they aren't stopping. So I obviously figured that it was a bad idea for us to go in there, just not worth the risk. I'll hit oliphant another day. So I decided to go to either burnt bridge, or the quarry. I settled on the quarry, and I brought the rod with us. My son and i took turns tossing a gold spinner for 20 mins or so. I didn't admit that part at first cause I wasn't sure if it was widely known that there was nothing there,and I'd look like silly trying there. Anyways, like I said, the water is really clear, but I did not see anything following the lure, or any rises at all on the entire quarry. So I figured there was nothing there, but I thought I would run it past the good folks here. I don't think there is anything left in there. Too bad.
We had a great day riding around in there, and we also had a lot of fun fishing there, regardless of not getting any luck.
Thanks Dave for sharing that information, that quarry has an interesting story.

Hey Rico, we used to go up to Oliphant lake from the old quarry Bamberton Haul road. Is that trail still there? I think it used to follow the powerlines up and over the malahat. It's been years since I've been up there.

Dave

There are a few ways in there. I go to the gate, then pull out the 50's. This particular time though, the gate was open and big dump trucks were coming out. They were busy in there, so i figured i would give some where else a try. Thats how we ended up at the quarry.
I am not familiar with the trail you described Dave, but i always only go in the same way.

Back