SFAB Meeting Victoria Feb. 3

Well one thing for sure we all agree on trying to bog down the fisheries office with letters can you imagine a couple hundred letters a day from all of us here in vic even if we send out a different one every week after a while its going to make them take notice and then they will have to do something about it.

On a positive good to see and meet some of you last night keep at em

Good Luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Hey Deewar, what I mean by stand up or speak up, is people attending the meetings, signing in, it shows we have people that are there, and care about our fishing, numbers say alot as well. Send in a letter, be there if there is a protest.....etc.

It was good to see a large number of people....but even more is better

At the meetings it is mostly info, but if people are there, it helps the situation. when they record minutes they also include an attendence list.

We need more recreational fisherman to show up, and also to send in letters.

I have been to both meetings and will attend further meetings, and protests etc....if it does happen.

The more people that stick together, the better......no every one will have the same opinion....but the more people that come aroud......it may show there is a problem.

my 2 cents

Unfortunately, I was on the ferry from Vancouver while this was going on, so couldn't attend.

One of you there, could you summarize briefly what was said? It doesn't sound like all that much, but I'd be interested to know even any suggestions or hints of what might be to come.

I'll get my letter written this week.

quote:Originally posted by juandesooka

Unfortunately, I was on the ferry from Vancouver while this was going on, so couldn't attend.

One of you there, could you summarize briefly what was said? It doesn't sound like all that much, but I'd be interested to know even any suggestions or hints of what might be to come.

I'll get my letter written this week.

No real surprise with halibut - the only thing that seemed likely was March 1st opening (SFAB pushing on Feb 15), but they are still throwing around the scenarios for daily limits and possibly season limit (hopefully know this weekend). I didn't realize, but seems when sports was under quota in previous years, the unused portion was then passed on to commercial...conservation not an issue - biomass is plenty - all comes down to failed concept in 2003, that is screwing us now. There was discussion of slot/size limits as well, but I didn't hear well because some of the guys were yapping beside me, but I had already been told from prior letter that is not an option they are considering anyway.

Salmon - grim early fraser numbers - sounded like they may consider total closure for that (I assume Mar-May), or hatchery only (pretty sure that's what I heard!) Concerns on the troll that helped wipe out Cowichan run, but they stressed a large majority of those off season trolls are american bound fish anyway and it should not be a major issue.

Essentially, we are moving forward for battle - the letters first step, followed by escalation (to non-jailed levels.lol) - I liked the boat trailer protest - string of boats towed around Commerce Circle (DFO office)...also discussed standard protest/rally, direct visits with MLA members and possible funding for trip to Ottawa for federal visit - coalition formed (think about 7 guys volunteered), made up of the broad range of people effected - any funds gathered go directly to an association (don't remember name), who has their own accounting etc/by the books...

Think thats the overview..I'm sure others can add or correct if I misheard something!

John give me a call after 7 tonight and ill tell you all about it ill be posting later some stuff for all of us to do,Chris said he would be sending me some info for all of us on the forum to do stay tuned!!!!

Thanks

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Dont think many of us were thrilled by the DFO representation! pretty limmited information there!

I will be working on my third letter today, overal the rate of response and actual response given has been a helpless direct link to the DFO website.

With luck the hard copies will work more effectively.

www.tailspincharters.com

I would have attended but my bodyguard detail was not available. Sad to see the way things are headed. Grim grim.

Its a shame these types of meetings always turn into a ***** fest though - that's why we left after the first portion. I think they need to not allow any questions during presentations and save them for the end.

Great turn out though.

The sad part is that this clown from DFO has no authority whatsoever, doesn't even understand all facts and implications - and is not the sharpest guy altogether as it seems. I bet he won't even be able to pass on the right messages from those meetings to his superiors. We should insist on DFO attendance like that Bill Shaw guy... At least there you get the feeling he gets it.

I spoke to Bill Shaw a few months back when the initial last minute 4 day notice, Oct 31 closure was announced.
My initial perception by his title, perceived that he was there to assist sportfisherman.
After a detailed conversation the sad truth came out. He too is set on the belief that this is strictly a conservation issue nothing more.

www.tailspincharters.com

The SFAB portion of the meeting was only intended as an information update. Lots and lots of uncertainty still and nothing confirmed for 2009 on halibut or Fraser bound chinook. DFO chose not to send big guns last night (DFO were directly invited three weeks ago) so they must be judged accordingly. I feel sorry for Kent Spencer, he is a decent guy and is hampered by the necessary learning curve needed to understand the nuances of our fishery. He is on our side folks. He is in the unfortunate place of being the DFO voice at our meetings and low on the totem.

If we can go fishing on Feb 15 for halies, does the world go back to being a peaceful place? We can't let it! You know there is high risk we will be shut down in-season. We need to keep the fire burning.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Great to see so many (130) come out to this important meeting. As in earlier posts, I have been calling for our local area 14 sfab board to hold ALL meetings in the evenings or on the weekends to allow the rec anglers collective voice to be heard. The chair of the area 14 sfab seems to think having them during the week at 9:30 in the morning is the way to go. Don't know about you guys, but most people I know work for a living and are unable to participate. Recently a sfab meeting was held in the evening for the very first time (7:00 pm)and low and behold sixty people showed up....guides, rec anglers, fathers and sons, youth anglers, a woman, DFO reps, two commercial etc etc...when pressed at the end of this meeting to move in this direction, the chair , instead of realizing the obvious benefits of this move, decided to stand pat and ignore the overwhelming support for for this request. If anything is going to get accomplished here, we need to have our voices heard. The suggestion by the vice or co chair that " we now have an email list that people can use to get in touch with the committee. If anyone wants a topic or idea brought-up, email it in. It will be addressed" is a joke. Having face to face open meetings with other rec anglers, DFO or whomever is the way the sfab was set up to work. Simply e-mailing issues to a select group on a committee without direct participation is not the open forum concept that allows rec anglers to voice their opinions, criticize, comment on, ask questions of DFO staff, submit letters to, etc etc...How would anyone in the Victoria area feel if they could not attend their local meetings....

Back