Seastar Liquid tie bar kicker steering setup

I am researching connecting up an manual tilt yamaha 8hp to a 200hp yamaha main that is controlled with a hydraulic seastar ram.

Rollie has been very helpful in putting me on to this track. After walking the docks today I did see this system and another used by Gord Gavin of Sea Ghost charters.

I am trying to keep the motor in 1 pc if possible and noted that Sea Ghost has a side mounted ram as opposed to the center mounted unit that others have used.

I am worried that the manual tilt will be an issue with the front mount cylinder as you have to cut the transom bracket to allow room for the front mount unit.

Has anyone have any experience with this? Can I use the side mount unit (on the kicker) with a liquid tie bar and the front mount on the 200?

sorry for the upside down shot left hander running the I phone

Attachments

• IMG_2001.jpg
    IMG_2001.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 424
I would imagine if both cylinders have the same capacity and will stay in sync with each other then you can mount as is best for your application. I extended the cylinder mounting brackets so I wouldn't have to cut off the transom clamps and ran it this way for a few years. However it changed the steering geometry and I lost range to one side and it was a pain in windy conditions. I caved and cut off the motor clamps and found some original cylinder mounts. I now have full steering in both directions. I use 4 stainless bolts to secure the kicker to the bracket. I plan on keeping my 9.9 for a long time so not worried about resale. Cutting off the clamps also makes the motor less attractive to thieves.

I thought the liquid tie bar was designed for catamaran steering of twin engines?

Not sure what the specific design was meant for but basically if you add a hydraulic cylinder to your kicker you can use the valve to make just the main respong=d to the helm or flip the valve and both main and kicker respond. Slick!! No more annoying vibrating tie bar and you have full range on either side of centre. .

Back