Seal meat takes centre stage at Quebec culinary festival

IronNoggin

Both the federal government and the provincial government of Quebec are supporting the event.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/sealfest-quebec-culinary-festival-1.5076634

Finally starting to connect the dots here!
It's all fine and ducky when Quebec shoots & eats seals!
In fact that has the full support of the feds (of course, it IS La Belle Province after all!).

But when it comes to the same in BC, we might as well be proposing an end to motherhood and apple pie...
icon_eek.gif

Nog

So... who would try it?
I'm pretty open to most food but... I'm not sure I would.

I have had Seal Flipper Pie. A friend brought the flippers back from the East Coast and their family cooked it up. It is a traditional east coast recipe and is a lot like beef stew with biscuits sitting on top of it. The meat is very dark in color and I found it tasty.

Well lets start a seal fishery! this might give us something to do if they ban chinook fishing! Win win !!;)

I've eaten it quite a few times as well. I use to buy it in cans from the East coast and it was good but not as good as fresh seal meat. It's a different taste for sure but I believe it's the pictures of the little cute white pups often shown on TV of the East Coast hunt that puts a lots of people off. I don't believe there is much of a market there anymore. I think I read somewhere that last season they only harvested 60,000 of a 400,000 quota. Couldn't find the article again so my numbers may be wrong.

What would you pay per seal? Maybe there's some enterprising first nations person who can say that this is their "food fishery", and sell the pelts/skulls/meat..

I have eaten seal meat in Alaska. The stuff I ate had a pretty strong flavor to it. What isn’t half bad is rendered down seal blubber also know as seal grease. We eat halibut boiled in water and a bit of seal grease with fried seaweed over rice on a regular basis. That is pretty tasty!

I have eaten seal meat in Alaska. The stuff I ate had a pretty strong flavor to it. What isn’t half bad is rendered down seal blubber also know as seal grease. We eat halibut boiled in water and a bit of seal grease with fried seaweed over rice on a regular basis. That is pretty tasty!

I did not find the flippers we had particularly strong tasting. I have heard it is best to eat the young ones as the older ones can be stronger tasting. Can always add curry spices.

Back