Seafood Bisque Southern style

Got this recipe from a friend in North Carolina
Let me tell ya'll...it is to die for

These words are from my buddy in NC.... (I'll narrate as required "lol")

I always make a big pot as an appetizer at Thanksgiving.... ( I make a pot on Christmas Day....nothing like the taste of "summer" in the dead of winter )

I think you and your friends and fam will agree...its GOOD stuff.

Recipe adapted from original, Broussard's of New Orleans

Serves twelve: (with small bowls more like 18 servings)
1/2 lb bacon
1 large Vidalia onion (sweet onion )
4 ribs celery (optional)
1 large green pepper
butter
3 bay leaves
1 quart half and half
1 quart chicken stock
3/4 cup flour
1 bag thawed shredded hash browns (fresh shredded yellow potatoes blanched and rinsed are better)
1 lb. crab meat ( canned works just fine.... but fresh Dungie is hard to beat )
1 lb shrimp, cut in small chunks
scallops, chunked
1 can clams with clam juice, or fresh clam bits ( 8 oz can...as my buddy told me...clams ain't the star of this show )
chunked fresh white fish...grouper, flounder, snapper,....(in these parts I would think Halibut, Cod etc ) ... entirely optionial..( I have never added fish to this recipe, it is entirely awesome without the addition of fish.)
sea salt, fresh ground pepper, cajun seasoning, dash or three cayenne pepper
fresh cilantro, fresh parsley, paprika

In large fry pan, fry bacon, remove, set aside. Add butter to bacon grease, saute finely chopped veggies 5-7 minutes till tender. Add additional butter if necessary to prevent sticking. Set all aside.

In jumbo dutch oven, ( heavy stock pot) make roux with butter and flour ( 1/4 lb butter and the 3/4cup of flour ) . Do not burn, stir constantly. When roux is medium brown (12 minutes) add chicken stock, veggies and bacon bits from above. Add clams and juice. Cover. Simmer on medium low thirty minutes, stir often. Add water as needed. Do not scald.

Add half and half, hash browns, spices, simmer 20 to 30 minutes, stir often, render fat from sides as necessary. Add picked crab, simmer 5-10 minutes. (add water as necessary if bisque thickens too much.)

Add fish if used, then scallops, then add shrimp last . Do not allow fish chunks to break down, lift lightly.Taste, add more spices to taste. Simmer 5-10 minutes more. Depending on personal taste, add fresh cilantro. DO NOT overcook your pricey fresh seafood here... SERVE.

Ladle to bowls, top with fresh parsley and paprika, additional cilantro on the side. Serve.

Merry Christmas

Bill

thxs for sharing, looks great Bill. and nice easy to follow instructions. wish more recipes were written out like that.

Back