Seafood Allergies

Rockfish

Seafood Allergies - Lingcod

Been eating BC caught seafood all my life and never had any problem with Allergies, but this summer caught a nice Lingcod and when eating it the roof of my moth goes tingly/feels strange as do my lips and I think they swell a little. Fresh or frozen does not seem to make a difference. Bummer, as I love Ling and have eaten it many times without this issue so it would seem it is emergent. Other than these symptoms I seem to tolerate it. My throat is not swelling up and I am not gasping for air like some do with food allergies which can be life threatening. It is a little weird to me that with all the many types of seafood I eat, it is Ling that seems to be becoming a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is quite possible to develop allergies as you grow older... and the opposite side is that some allergies diminish with age.

I have a friend who loved fresh crab and could eat a lot of it. One summer after a couple halves, his arms became streaked with red and his face was swollen. We ludkily had liquid benedryl capsules and we forced 3 or 4 down him and he recovered. Without them, who knows. We keep them with us always now in case someone gets a bee sting or other allergy that they are not aware they have.

I have a friend who loved fresh crab and could eat a lot of it. One summer after a couple halves, his arms became streaked with red and his face was swollen. We ludkily had liquid benedryl capsules and we forced 3 or 4 down him and he recovered. Without them, who knows. We keep them with us always now in case someone gets a bee sting or other allergy that they are not aware they have.

My father is the same way with crab. When he first moved to the coast he used to eat crab like it was going out of style until he built up an allergic reaction to it. He kept trying it every other year with very bad results and one time ending up in the hospital. Sucks for him. After seeing that I moderate my crab intake as I love the stuff and couldn't imagine not being able to eat it.

The wife is the same way, used to eat prawns and crab with no problem, now she has a "reaction" to them, so they are now off limits for her.....too bad because they will still be in the house.....;)

Cheers

SS

Anyone else had issues with Lingcod? I know allergies to crabs, shrimp and prawns are very common.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else had issues with Lingcod? I know allergies to crabs, shrimp and prawns are very common.

I have never had issues with Ling Cod and I feel for you. Have you talked to a doctor? Are you eating lot's of it on a regular basis? Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Sculpin

I used to eat eggs no problem, and really liked them (maybe too many ?)
Now I cannot tolerate them at all, it is scary stuff for sure.

food for thought,, found alota lil crabbies in belies of lincod. food chain allergy?

My wife too, just happened last year all of a sudden she's getting symptoms. Loved to prawn but not so much anymore. I guess I can catch and release still though.

My wife too, just happened last year all of a sudden she's getting symptoms. Loved to prawn but not so much anymore. I guess I can catch and release still though.

How many prawns was she eating and how often Todd? This is interesting stuff and a good thread. Let us know K.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago.
Always ate crabs and prawns with no difficulty, then began to have allergic reactions.
I was referred to an allergist, and he advised hormone levels change as you reach your late 30's and 40's and allergies can develop.
Not so good for me, but we are a hit at the marina as we still crab and prawn (wearing gloves), and give them away.

food for thought,, found alota lil crabbies in belies of lincod. food chain allergy?

You may be onto something there TF

I know a person whose kid got an allergic reaction after eating pork. The kid was known to be allergic to penicillin.
Seems that the pig was slaughtered while still on antibiotics and it was in the meat. Seems to be just another reason to hunt.

How many prawns was she eating and how often Todd? This is interesting stuff and a good thread. Let us know K.

I'm sure we ate more prawns than most people as I catch a fair bit of them and they seem free (not) when you have a bucket full. I don't think we were crazy overdoing it though.

Back