salmon survey

Thanks for this Derby. I think this program is just great. Beamish was and obviously still is a master at obtaining funds for his pet projects and we should be happy salmon science is one of them.

There was a thread a while ago that posted about this project. As I recall some were a tad critical about a study like this that took off up to Alaska seemingly ignoring the problems here at home (eg. river mouth smolt mortality or in river returning adult mortality) but I think this explains the project objective more clearly. An internationally lead ocean Survival study will likely bring well needed knowledge via "volunteer" scientists with some good funding. I hope the funding sources will not cause any biases. Interesting the part about a 'private' non-gov study and how what they find would relate to any actions based on their findings.

That was me who was implying they were leaving the local area where there could use more research.
I guess a million dollars isn't all that much. Good to see the joining of resources with other countries!

I spent some time around Beamish 20 years ago when I was on the Halibut Advisory Board, good guy but man has he got old. Wait a minute , so have I:confused:
Funny I was thinking same thing when watching the video ... I was wondering if he and the other scientists have much experience with the Bering Sea in February ( no matter what age they are) but if any of the scientists are even close to his age too, I sure hope the trip includes a medical doctor on that Russian fishing vessel :eek:

Was just thinking about this and thought, wonder if they will run into any steelhead

Back