salmon returns

sundance

re gov [chris]i only have 18 mixed coho through the craigflower fence ,water dropped so quick ,there are still fish below the trap ,trying to get crd to release water out of thetis lke but no one wants to make a decision,so will have to wait for more rain,[gary]

Sundance - great to hear that at least some coho made it through. I thought that the work done a couple of years ago on the lower creek got around the low water issues? More rain due tonight/tomorrow so get ready!

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

That comment on no one wanting to make a decision to release water reminds me of a somewhat similar situation years ago. The Black Creek fence was being manned by a contract crew who were counting and tagging upstream migrant coho for the Biologial Station Stock Assessment section.

The rain started late Thursday. The crew tagged and counted a large number heading up through the fence. Friday afternoon, they were told to go home as there was no money in the contract to work overtime on the weekend. They left. Almost immediately calls started coming into the DFO ORR line from locals about thousands of coho lined up below the fence which were battering themselves against the fence. The local DFO officer (Gord McEachen) immediately went and had a look. Right away he called the "scientist" in charge and asked him to send someone up immediately to let the fish through, even if it meant not getting tags on them.
He was told that it looked worse than it was, and the coho could wait until Monday morning!!!!!

I was there when the FO exploded and told the researcher to get someone up NOW to let the fish through OR HE WOULD OPEN THE FENCE WITH HIS TRUCK!!!

Two hrs later, the fence was letting fish through! :D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Back