Salmon Lures

P

Pajan

Fishing on BC tidal waters is it legal to use a "slider" or "cheater" as it is sometimes called? By this I mean a 6-foot leader and lure with a snap at one end that is snapped on the mainline above the release when downrigging. The "Slider" then rides up and down at the belly in the mainline. Very effective and legal on Great Lakes waters.

Don't see why not,, wouldn't be any differant than running two rods off one rigger line with a second quick release would it ?? I mean that is all you are doing anyways...

But just a question why would you want to ??? why not just run it off a quick release ??? What happens if you hook onto a hog and he takes a run and your snap comes slamming into the downrigger pully ,, think your fast enough to get er off before he breaks it ???

Absolutely NOT. This is 100% illegal.

If you check out the regs you'll see that you're not allowed to fish with gear designed to catch more than one fish at a time.

Oh shoot,, I thought he meant running it off another rod,, Did you mean running just a line off of the main line ??? if so then thats a whole different story...

quote:Originally posted by walleyes

Oh shoot,, I thought he meant running it off another rod,, Did you mean running just a line off of the main line ??? if so then thats a whole different story...

What I meant was running two separate lures off one rod. One lure attached to the end of the line and one on a separate leader that rides at the belly of the line. Here on the Great Lakes it is legal. If the fish hits the "slider" lure it just rides down and pops the release. I have on a few occasions actually hooked and landed TWO fish on the one rod, but NOW i understand that it is ILLEGAL in BC. waters.

Thank you all.

Interesting idea.
That I don't think the reg's cover.
It would be illegal if you had it snapped directly on to your downrigger cable (meat line), but, my reading is that it would be legal if it is snapped on to your fishing line, which, of course is connected to the downrigger cable by an automatic release clip.
The reg's don't specify that the release clip must be ahead of the lure/hook or that only one attractor lure combo may be used on a line (Kone Zone, Delta etc.).
More ammo for the meat fishermen.

If you run one of those systems off each side,have fun untangleing the lines when all 4 get tangled!!!!

i think somewhere in the regs it says you can only be fishing for one fish at a time with each rod, which would make it illegal - like mortician said. a buddy of mine once tried to set up a rid with two hootchies following one flasher - it looked pretty sweet but then we found out its illegal

quote:Originally posted by new generation

If you run one of those systems off each side,have fun untangleing the lines when all 4 get tangled!!!!
Have NEVER had a tangle yet using that method with three riggers and three rods all running at the same time. One morning fishing out of Owen Sound Harbour we hooked and landed THREE (3) salmon all at the same time, the smallest went 22#.

Back