Safe Passage Campaign Update

fogged in

Safe Passage Campaign Update: Stan Proboszcz
This entry was posted in Science and Research, Take Action, Watershed Watch Activities and tagged a, aquaculture, salmon farming, Stan Proboszcz, Watershed Watch Salmon Society, Wild Salmon.

It’s never a dull moment, when it comes to our salmon farming campaign. In December, an agreement between First Nations and the province of B.C. was announced right before the holidays. The ‘Namgis, Kwikwasutinuxw Haxwa’mis and Mamalilikulla First Nations, along with the province, announced a plan to remove salmon farms from the Broughton Archipelago.

Watershed Watch has a long history of providing technical and science support to First Nations on the harmful risks and impacts of salmon farms to wild fish. We’ve been asked to provide technical and science support to help develop and support an Indigenous Monitoring and Inspection Plan (IMIP) to oversee the phase out in the Broughton Archipelago. The IMIP will provide a new window into the industry. For the first time ever, First Nations will have access to testing farmed salmon for viruses and monitoring parasitic salmon lice on the farms. And we’re thrilled to help them develop their plans!

The removal of salmon farms in the Broughton is already having impacts on the ground. Marine Harvest Canada’s (the company recently re-branded to “Mowi Canada”) Glacier Falls salmon farm has not been restocked! This is huge! This spring, juvenile pink and chum salmon will finally be free of parasitic lice from this farm, and plans are already being drawn to monitor their progress through this area.

I’m not expecting a miracle immediately,but it will be important to see if this makes a difference over a few years. One way or another,theories will be either proved or disproved.

I’m not expecting a miracle immediately,but it will be important to see if this makes a difference over a few years. One way or another,theories will be either proved or disproved.

I don’t expect anything conclusive to come out of it. Salmon stocks have always massively fluctuated. I’m sure some stocks will recover over the next few years and that’s the data the ENGOs will pick.

It will be interesting to see the lice counts in the absence of those farms.
I don’t expect anything conclusive to come out of it. Salmon stocks have always massively fluctuated. I’m sure some stocks will recover over the next few years and that’s the data the ENGOs will pick.
Yup. There is no doubt. Should interesting to follow this process.

Maybe we should take those farms and put them at the mouth of the skeena and see if those fish get wiped out. Oh, those runs are suffering like the rest and there are no salmon farms on those migration routs. Hmmmm?????? So much for that logic.

I wonder for every farm they take out, how many new sites throughout the BC coast will open?! Hhmm.
The farming companies seemed quite excited at the decision. Makes one wonder.

Back