Roof top Tent family sleeping alternative

Just saw this roof top tent on a 25 C-Dory Cruiser. Possible solution to adding a third bed to the Seasports and other hard top boats. Just don’t sleep walk.

I have a full enclosure but rarely put up the walls, so I have ended up sleeping on the floor.
Picture?

Lol I was van camping in Iceland a few years ago and one of those triangle rooftop tents closed up on the guy next to us because of the wind. Getting folded like a pretzel lol
Yeah seems like a terrible idea on a boat, I’ve seen it on a couple boats for sale. Any kind of swell or wind and you aren’t sleeping.

Yeah seems like a terrible idea on a boat, I’ve seen it on a couple boats for sale. Any kind of swell or wind and you aren’t sleeping.
I've always thought a life raft would be great for this

I think the maggiolina style like we used on our land cruisers would be a better option,all fiberglass construction super low profile when collapsed aluminum ladder, just pop it up and your sleeping ,mattress sleeping gear ,pillows all stay inside....I'll try and find a photo

I've always thought a life raft would be great for this
We used to sleep 2 in an open 16' boat -- we had hatch boards that were about a foot above the floor that rested on the flotation tanks. We took a friend to the central coast - towing a 9' dinghy for gas storage and we made hatch boards for it -- the friend slept in the dinghy tied alongside the 'big' boat, and the friend bailed in with us when it started to rain. Happy not to do that any more.

Below - a poor picture of the 16' Skookum Sealer we camped aboard for a decade -- circa year 2000.

20231003_170618.jpg

Last edited:
eva foam floor with light sleeping bags is ok...i do it on mine currently. but king sized gel infused memory foam mattresses are on order for the new one. those should be better.

Back