Regulation question

Gerry

Okay, I don't have a copy of the regs handy so I'll ask the forum. How is possession defined? Are you supposed to count fish that you have at home in your freezer?? Sometimes I read that some fellows are going to "fill the freezer". Pretty tough to do if you have to count the ones at home as part of your possession limit. [?]

POSSESSION LIMIT – the number
of fish of any species that an angler
may have in his/her possession at any
given time, except at place of ordinary
residence.

JUST FISHEN'

quote:Originally posted by juandesooka

Being technical about it, this definition implies to me it is not legal to drop off your possession limit at the St Jean's depot so you can head out and catch more.

Not that it matters, could never enforce it anyway. But interesting...

If the Springs are tagged on a license, which they should be,
that effectively stops further fishing for Springs that day.

I was thinking multi-day visitors. That's a pretty common way to do it, catch the fish, drop off at depot, then have the whole week or two's catch shipped to your home.

If I read this right, fish shipped from processor to you is still subject to the total possession limit of 2x the daily catch.

yes, sending fish to the processor definitely avoids any possesion
limit argument. In fact the individual could still leave with 4
Springs in the round even after sending a bunch to the cannery.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

quote:Originally posted by juandesooka

Being technical about it, this definition implies to me it is not legal to drop off your possession limit at the St Jean's depot so you can head out and catch more.

Not that it matters, could never enforce it anyway. But interesting...

If the Springs are tagged on a license, which they should be,
that effectively stops further fishing for Springs that day.

aah.... NO!

Being technical about it!

Right out of the mouth of DFO… and I have personally contacted them about this issue. Some of us south of the border due want to abide by the regulations! And to be honest… if it was legal, I would probably due it.

The number of springs tagged on a license has nothing to do with your possession limit, unless you have fish in your possession. Then dates and locations apply! Think about it… catch and release is legal! But, if you have fish tagged and no fish in your possession, they will ask you where the fish are. If you have two fish tagged and only one in your possession, you better have the right answer and St Jean’s Cannery is NOT one of the correct answers!

There is nothing technical about it. DFO will tell you it is pretty cut and dry! Possession applies until the fish arrive to your primary residence… NOT your rented accommodations, NOT the freezer at your campsite, Not the freezer at the lodge you’re staying at, Not on an airplane or boat headed to the US, and NOT St Jean’s depot! If someone other than the fisher stores or transports your catch, it is considered in your possession until the fish arrive to your primary residence.

Now here is a kicker. I used to run my 42’ boat up the west coast. Guess what! That was considered my primary residence and I didn’t have to worry about a daily limit as long as I didn’t fish off that boat. And DFO advised the only thing I had to worry about was my annual limit. Of course they also warned me if I had one pole rigged and hanging over the side… then I would be deemed a fishing boat and all possession limits including daily would then apply.

Charlie

The way i see it. if you have 2 springs tagged on your licence,
you are done fishing for them that day, whether or not they are in the tub or at the cannery. If it's the latter, then you have a receipt from the cannery for the fish.
The date alone indicating you have taken 2 springs means
you either have them with you ,or at home, or being processed.
Juan was talking about having fish processed and shipped direct to their homes. This would effectively mean you could have a possesion limit with you, as well as having product sent direct.
DFO would have no idea about the processed fish.

Charlie

The way i see it. if you have 2 springs tagged on your licence,
you are done fishing for them that day, whether or not they are in the tub or at the cannery. If it's the latter, then you have a receipt from the cannery for the fish.
The date alone indicating you have taken 2 springs means
you either have them with you ,or at home, or being processed.
Juan was talking about having fish processed and shipped direct to their homes. This would effectively mean you could have a possesion limit with you, as well as having product sent direct.
DFO would have no idea about the processed fish.
quote:The way i see it. if you have 2 springs tagged on your licence, you are done fishing for them that day, whether or not they are in the tub or at the cannery. If it's the latter, then you have a receipt from the cannery for the fish.
I agree! Once you tag the fish... it means you retained it and your daily limit does apply.

quote:The date alone indicating you have taken 2 springs means you either have them with you, or at home, or being processed.
I agree!

quote: Juan was talking about having fish processed and shipped direct to their homes. This would effectively mean you could have a possession limit with you, as well as having product sent direct.
I disagree! You should consider these fish in your possession until they arrive at your permanent residence. But, unfortunately I do not believe the regulations apply to processed catch, so technically… only after the fish are processed would they be able to continue to fish!

quote: DFO would have no idea about the processed fish.
I agree! But the fisher would know they are in violation of the intent of the regulations! I guess everyone needs to let their conscious be their guide!

quote: Juan was talking about having fish processed and shipped direct to their homes. This would effectively mean you could have a possession limit with you, as well as having product sent direct.

I disagree! You should consider these fish in your possession until they arrive at your permanent residence. But, unfortunately I do not believe the regulations apply to processed catch, so technically… only after the fish are processed would they be able to continue to fish!

And i agree with you, a fisherman should consider these processed fish as part of their possession limit.... but there is nothing compelling him to do so except for his good conscience.

is there a way to cheat the system ?
I say YES !

And i agree with you, a fisherman should consider these processed fish as part of their possession limit.... but there is nothing compelling him to do so except for his good conscience.

is there a way to cheat the system ?
I say YES !
X2 I agree!

Back