Registering a vessel

Statler

Hello all, new to the forum and have just purchased my boat and was wondering if you are allowed to use your boat while you are waiting to receive your registration/license number?
Thanks

I believe they give you 30 days to make the transfer. make sure you have all your documentation on board. Give ServiceCanada a call and they will give you the whole goods.

beemer

I you use the search function up in the top right. there is a thread with the registration web site. Grats on your new purchase.

Thanks guys, I got hold of them this am. As long as I have the bill of sale on board showing ownership then I have up to 90 days before it must be licensed. Which is good news. Would have been a hard go looking at a boat in the driveway and not being able to use it. Hopefully I will be finished gearing it up by this week-end, weather permitting. Can't wait.

Thanks Beemer, I should have also included that it is a new, never registered boat.
If it is new never been registered I assume you bought from a dealer then, they should have registered it for you
the dealers have a "express lane" so to speak and it will get registered alot quicker

I saw that about the dealers, when I went to the Service Canada web site. Why it was never discussed during the contract or the construction phase I couldn't tell you. Just one of things that was overlooked. Its too bad as it would have been one less thing to do but at least it isn't a show stopper for using the boat.

I sent in an application for a new pleasure craft licence on July 14 and received the pleasure craft licence the first week in August. In addition to the application I sent in the bill of sale and a photo copy of a valid piece of government issued identification - in my case drivers licence.

So, what if I am buying a boat and trailer in canada BUT both are registered in the usa? The boat is 15 years old and trailer is 8 years old. Does anyone know what I would need to do to get boat a trailer registered?

Thanks

I would think the fact that you are completing the transaction in Canada as opposed to the US does not change anything as far as getting the trailer registered and the boat licensed.
You need bills of sale, one for the boat and one for the trailer and perhaps get one for electronics, etc.
Titles for both the trailer and the boat if they come from titled states.

So, what if I am buying a boat and trailer in canada BUT both are registered in the usa? The boat is 15 years old and trailer is 8 years old. Does anyone know what I would need to do to get boat a trailer registered?

Thanks
Boat is less of a problem , as long as you purchased the boat, have a bill of sale/purchase paperwork / proof that you have ownership then its pretty straight forward for the boat.
For a trailer its more cpmplicated as a trailer is considered a vehicle (somewhat the same as a car being imported). If the trailer is presently registered in US but physically in Canada I'd do my homework first. Was the trailer brought into Canada legally? Was the trailer brought to Canada for permanent use or just temporarily by someone on visit ? A trailer registered and living in US needs to be brought into Canada legally, have legible VIN and then have RIV certification done once in Canada (before it can be insured here). You cannot get a RIV without a legible VIN. If it is still registered in US and not been insured by Canadain insurance it likely will not have had a Federal RIV certification. If the trailer has no VIN I personally would not buy it as you would have to prove to the manufacturer that it was owned by you before they are going to provide you with a new VIN sticker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back