Recent Corrosion On Aluminum Hull

20150113_164526.jpg20150113_164532.jpg20150113_164703.jpg20150113_164655.jpg20150113_164551.jpgSince my last post it appears lots has happened, that will happen when a guy does shift work! Nice boat Fishin Zinn! is that a lot of work to maintain?

I have found a place in Vancouver which will sandblast the affected areas and if you wish, paint it. It sounds like they do this to a number of aluminum boats as they seemed to be quite familiar with the procedure. For me the problem is Vancouver is 7 to 8 hours away.

I have contacted the manufacturer and I am waiting for him to review the photos that I sent. The problem for me with taking the boat back is it's a 13 hour drive each way, plus our Canadian dollar is no longer very good when compared to the US dollar. Thankfully I bought the boat last year, it would have cost me $9000 more in just the exchange rate if I bought it today!!

Another solution is to use Aluma Brite acid wash and then polish. I spoke with a fellow that has a Thunder Jet with some unwanted corrosion. He used the Aluma Brite acid wash, diluted it down and then applied it to the affected areas. He said it immediately brightened the boat but then it turned white, most likely from the corrosion of the acid. With panic in his eye, thinking he destroyed his boat, he polished it with Blue Magic polish and now has a mirror finish. But maybe a more diluted solution of acid wash and then a clean of some sort and finally a rub with scotch brite pads to help provide a more uniform look.

Lastly, I bought a coarse and a fine scotch brite pad and tried them on the hull below the water line so no one would see it should I have made a mistake. I quickly learned that the finer pad was the one to use and rubbed the hull until the corrosion was gone, "stars" or "flowers" plus the natural oxidization. It didn't take long to do the small surface but doing the entire hull from the chine down will require a bit of work. I also tried it on the reverse chine on the rear pod. This area turned out exceptionably good and looks like new or better to me! The problem I see with the hull area is keeping a uniform look.

I have a question, will rubbing the aluminum with the scotch brite pads remove any mill scaling that could be there and allow the aluminum to oxidize naturally in a uniform fashion without using the acid wash?

The first two photos are the hull and the next three are the reverse chine on the pod.

John

View attachment 15477View attachment 15478View attachment 15479View attachment 15480View attachment 15481Since my last post it appears lots has happened, that will happen when a guy does shift work! Nice boat Fishin Zinn! is that a lot of work to maintain?

I have found a place in Vancouver which will sandblast the affected areas and if you wish, paint it. It sounds like they do this to a number of aluminum boats as they seemed to be quite familiar with the procedure. For me the problem is Vancouver is 7 to 8 hours away.

I have contacted the manufacturer and I am waiting for him to review the photos that I sent. The problem for me with taking the boat back is it's a 13 hour drive each way, plus our Canadian dollar is no longer very good when compared to the US dollar. Thankfully I bought the boat last year, it would have cost me $9000 more in just the exchange rate if I bought it today!!

Another solution is to use Aluma Brite acid wash and then polish. I spoke with a fellow that has a Thunder Jet with some unwanted corrosion. He used the Aluma Brite acid wash, diluted it down and then applied it to the affected areas. He said it immediately brightened the boat but then it turned white, most likely from the corrosion of the acid. With panic in his eye, thinking he destroyed his boat, he polished it with Blue Magic polish and now has a mirror finish. But maybe a more diluted solution of acid wash and then a clean of some sort and finally a rub with scotch brite pads to help provide a more uniform look.

Lastly, I bought a coarse and a fine scotch brite pad and tried them on the hull below the water line so no one would see it should I have made a mistake. I quickly learned that the finer pad was the one to use and rubbed the hull until the corrosion was gone, "stars" or "flowers" plus the natural oxidization. It didn't take long to do the small surface but doing the entire hull from the chine down will require a bit of work. I also tried it on the reverse chine on the rear pod. This area turned out exceptionably good and looks like new or better to me! The problem I see with the hull area is keeping a uniform look.

I have a question, will rubbing the aluminum with the scotch brite pads remove any mill scaling that could be there and allow the aluminum to oxidize naturally in a uniform fashion without using the acid wash?

The first two photos are the hull and the next three are the reverse chine on the pod.

John

I don't want to really chime in here as I was told last time that I was on this forum every two seconds but I could not standby and watch. Aluminum will naturally oxidize and that layer will act as a surface barrier from corrosion. Acid etching and Alodine solution are things I have lots of experience with which I wont go into details about. Do not use scotch brite or any abrasive to shine it up you are removing aluminum and adding to the problem unless you want to ETCH,ALODINE,PRIME, AND PAINT.It will take many years if not decades to eat a hole through that unless you don't care for your boat. With acid etch if you get it in any seams and don't rinse it properly it will add to the problem and fog up your aluminum. If you want it to look pretty you should get it painted or deal with the oxidation but don't use abrasives and polishing will drive you nuts. Back to the bench.

I agree with KV's assessment. You are doing more harm than good. Alu boats are not for good looking. If you want a shiny boat, go fibreglass.

Hi guys your posts are very welcome, at least by myself. What I am hoping to accomplish with the scotch Brite pads is to remove the stars or flower looking corrosion spots from the hull, shinning it is only the by product from the pads, but ultimately allow the hull to start again with fresh aluminum and naturally oxidize but in a more uniform fashion and without the spots . Since I do not go into the salt water and only fresh water I am hoping this is possible. To be truthful I would never have the time to resurface the boat year after year, I just want the dull oxidized aluminum look so it's maintenance free, and without the corrosion spots.

Guys what are your thoughts on accomplishing this with the scotch Brite pads?

John

I forgot to mention, I wouldn't be using the polish, just some soap and water to clean the removed material dry it and be done.

Thoughts?

I have a 2008 Alumaweld-- no exterior paint, in spite of the salesmans push for paint or Sharkhide protectorant. Sure it has miniscule surface corrosion, but my boat is a FISHING boat. I could care less about making it pretty . And as others have said-- no gelcoat to polish-- rinse and in the barn! I would never go back to glass.

That's just the nature of the (aluminum) beast. Filliform corrosion, scale - Just water, general abuse & especially salt, is going to do that. It definitely penetrates the original surface, but doesn't effect the integrity at all. Just looks like garbage, in my opinion.

You want to keep it pretty, keep it washed and clean. Otherwise nothing you're going to be able to do, it will naturally oxidize over time.

And example? Here's the boat my family got last year... It was neglected in terms of washing, surface was completely oxidized.

View attachment 15435

View attachment 15432

View attachment 15431

After 60+ Hours of sanding, polishing, etc.

View attachment 15434

View attachment 15433

If I were to do it again? I would acid etch it first. Still kicking myself that I didn't, would've been a clean slate to work off. I didn't know better at the time.
I have to polish it now every spring before it gets put back in the water. Easier though now that most of the hard work has been done, only have to do a minor correction, and finishing pass now. For what it's worth... After a year of abuse in the chuck, still looks great! ;)

That is a beautiful hull. Love the shape. Sexy as all get out.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Back