Rate these Boat Manufacturers?

Wooldridge are nice, boulton are good stabicrafts are wicked. Acb are very very nice and well built, Custom weld makes a nice boat and so does koffler

when I was in the market, I had a 3 page list of features that I had ginned up by looking at lots of tin and glass boats. seemed as though no mfg put everything I wanted into a single package. so I shopped my list with every aluminum fabrication shop in business in 2006, and I do mean all of them including those up on the island. the one and only group that would accommodate my needs was ALMAR, now out of business due to the idiot who purchased the company and ran them into bankruptcy. when the courts settled all of that, North River survived. they still have all of the fabrication jigs used by ALMAR. this is a major issue as the hull designs are very important to ride and sea worthiness. this takes decades of experience to develop so no small thing when you consider the outcome. my custom build took 300 days from the time I put a deposit down until I received delivery. during that time I had multiple meetings with the build folks and got to watch the hull, interior and electronics come to life. if you have the opportunity, its a wonderful experience.

if I were looking today, I'd be talking with Duckworth and spec'ing some specific mods to their current design to make it more usable for my needs. the North River folks would be worth talking with as well. Armstrong looks like a big aluminum box floating in the water, zero design style, a true work boat mindset. the others are 'consumer' boats to my way of thinking and will appeal to a mass audience keeping those companies in business. the island fabricators do produce some nice boats but I could do better down this way as island pricing is way expensive. a good example of that sort of pricing is the kingfisher. low sides, non bailing decks, nicely welded but far too expensive for the product you receive.

I could also have powered REELFAST with whatever I choose as the hull is rated for 500hp. the advice I got was to stick with 4 cylinder engines and Yamaha became the choice based on what I have observed in 3rd world countries. abused engines that just keep running. the twin 150's have proven themselves and for outboards are about as easy on the fuel as you can get. today, I would opt for the 200's which come in at eight pounds more in weight.

you also need to factor in a complete, networked electronics suite, now's the time to do this as well.

have some fun with this, take your time, think about what will make this boat a keeper for you. REELFAST is now in her 8th season and still going strong. 2 mistakes I made in her build, that's it.

Attachments

• reelfast_edited-3.jpg
    reelfast_edited-3.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 323
Last edited by a moderator:
I can't rate the others because I have never owned them but I will say that I love my 22' Weldcraft Maverick. A very sold boat that is well thought out and built to last. I particularly like the pod which is actually a hull extension. It's great to have the extra aft flotation in a following sea. I did most of the rigging myself and found the layout of the boat and easy access to wiring races, etc very friendly towards self rigging. Heading out tomorrow AM with it for a week at Tahsis!

Reel fast, she is beautiful. Right now I am looking really hard at North River and Thunderjet. Mt needs are pretty pedestrian and I don't think that I need much customization. But I will talk to the guys at Silver Streak and Lifetimer, just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back