Radio hook up

hooked for life

Hi All
Another question, this time on radio hook up. The trophy I bought has a brand new radio that has never been hooked up.
a) can I take power from the VHF or should I run it back to the battery?
b) Can I use the antenna off of the VHF or should I install a new antenna?

once again thanks to all the responders you help is very much appreciated.

Cheers
Peter

If you are talking about an AM/FM radio, you should have a power bar under the dash you can pick up power from and tie the ground into any dash light ground. Doesn't take much power so you could hook into almost any hot wire under the dash. For antenna, I've never needed one, especially down in this country. Lots of radio close enough the radio can pick it up. One time I just hooked a line from the radio antenna input to a bolt from my bow rail. Worked well. Since you want good clean power to your navigation electrics and VHF, I would leave them alone.

Don't power your stereo from another component like your VHF. If it ever developed a problem you then have the potential of taking out a critical lifeline. There should be a bus bar and fuse panel in the dash of your boat where you can tie in the power.

As for antenna, you can pick up an antenna splitter at West Marine (or eBay). Allows you to use the VHF antenna for AM/FM radio as well.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...=true&storeNum=5003&subdeptNum=3&classNum=722

PLEASE DON'T DO THAT!!!!

There is nothing worse/more dangerous on a boat than spagetti wiring. Doing things right, so that you can deal with eletrical issues quickly when your out on the water, is easy if you just spend a little time. With spagetti wiring, things just tapped into other things, if you ever have a problem it is going to take hours/days to repair. Also if you ever have an eletrical fire you are not going to know/be able to de-energize the circuit. It does not cost a lot of money or take much time to set a boats electrical up right.

If your boat already has a grounding block and a DC fuse panel adding your radio is as simple as running the negative wire from the radio to the grounding block and the positive wire to either an unused slot on your fuse panel or tieing it into an existing fuse.

Your boat should have a cable running from the negative battery terminal to a grounding block under the dash. EVERY electrical device on the boat should have an independent ground wire running back to that block. You'll be able to tell the ground block by lots of wires running to it with lots of little screws in it. On my boats I have a grounding block in the stern and one in the bow.

On the postive side you should have a fused DC distribution panel even on small boats. EVERY electrical appliance on your boat should run through that panel. Using this system every electical appliance on the boat is fused and is easy to energize/deenergize. It's okay to gang items under one switch/fuse. For example on one of the boats I have two VHF radios and my stereo under one switch labeled "radios". With your boat set up this way and a well labelled fuse panel ANY electrical problem can be diagnosed and fixed in minutes.

If your boat does not have a ground block or DC fuse panel you can install them in less than a day and for only a few hundred dollars with minimal tools. It's money very well spent. If your boat does not have a ground block or fuse panel and you want to install one just let me know and I'll zing you a few suggestions on how to set them up and install them. For a few extra bucks I'd strongly recommend installing a batter isolation switch while you are at it is there is not already one installed.

To save me getting emails I'll note that the exception to the above statements is that your bilge pump, dowriggers and trap puller should be wired directly to the battery in the stern and not run all the way up to the bow distribution panel. This is why I have stern grounding blocks and small panels for clustering my bilge/downrigger in-line fuses in the battery compartments of our boats.

PS you can't use your VHF antenna, try without or install one of the short 8-12" AM/FM stub antennas.

Good wiring makes for trouble free boating!!!!!!!

SIR just wondering why not to do that as I have that system in my boat. the one ten mile put the link to and it works great as I was told am/fm radio and vhf are 2 totally diffrent signals thats why you can do that????
I get very clear tunes to listen to and can talk to the boys in renfrew from sooke sometimes with no prob???

Thanks

Wolf

TenMile must have been typing at the same time as I was so I did not see his response before posting mine or I would have clarified.

If you try to use a straight antenna cable splitter (just a 1 to 2 cable) and go from the VHF antenna to both your AM/FM and VHF antenna it is possible to cause interferance on the VHF and fry your AM/FM radio when transmitting on your VHF. You can buy a filtered AM/FM/VHF antenna adapter (like the Shakespeareone) which isolates your AM/FM radio from the transmit power of your VHF. Not a big fan as failure of the isolator(not common but possible) puts both radios at risk and a stubby AM/FM flex antenna is under $20 which is less than the adapter. If you've got nowhere to mount a second antenna go for it but make sure you buy the right adapter there are some different ones out there for differnent VHF antenna styles.

Thanks for that have had that same thing in my last boat as well over ten years now!!!
thanks for sharing that info

Wolf

Thanks for that have had that same thing in my last boat as well over ten years now!!!
thanks for sharing that info

Wolf

PM me...happy to do it for you, or point you rightly. (kind of my job, marine electronics and all)

PM me...happy to do it for you, or point you rightly. (kind of my job, marine electronics and all)

quote:Originally posted by SIR
Not a big fan as failure of the isolator(not common but possible) puts both radios at risk and a stubby AM/FM flex antenna is under $20 which is less than the adapter. If you've got nowhere to mount a second antenna go for it but make sure you buy the right adapter there are some different ones out there for differnent VHF antenna styles.

The stubby flex FM antennae is really the best choice. If you don't have anywhere to mount it, you can always just leave it under teh dash. Reception is not as good as a mounted antennae but still works and keeps your receiving and VHF transmit separate.

Good post SIR

Hey SMTW, I sent you an email at home. Thanks, SS

Back