Radar Hints

rmj002

I too just bought a radar system and need to learn how to use it. Can anyone help with some tips. It will a couple of weeks before my arch is installed so I will not have it mounted right away. Any tips would be greatful. I have read some older posts and it really sunk home how much trouble one can get into. Fished last summer in Renfrew and plan on going back the Radar will ease my mind.

MJ

I would recommend this book. It's called the Radar Book by Kevin Monahan. It is the best one I have found on the subject for smaller boats. It even has local Victoria examples, diagrams maps. The other thing you HAVE to do is spend time working with the unit when you are not underway to get familiar with the controls and what different things look like on it. It takes some time and experience to use radar well and correctly recognize objects on it. I think I got this book at West Marine. Here is a link.

http://www.pacificyachting.com/content/view/312/191/

I'll need to look around a bit... But I do have an excellent book that brings a guy in on the hows and what's of radar. I think its called The Book On Radar (?).
It was available in most chandleries. Large like a Haynes repair manual, w/ a blue cover...

Good thread.
Very important to learn it before needing it.
I'd reccomend learning how to initialy set it up then use it regularly on nice sunny days, with a good book @ hand.

Back