Puerta vallarta

saltydawg

Heading down to beucerias in a few days for R+R. I brought my casting rod last time and caught rays from shore using wobblers. Does anyone know how to catch the Rooster fish that you see attacking bait fish in the surf. I may bring my fly rod and tinsel flies instead.
Anyone had luck surf fishing??

Thanks,

I could go in a panga but last time these 2' Roosterfish were in the surf 30' from shore. I was pretty well bouncing lures off their back but couldn't get them to bite and hook them. I'm just wondering what the secret is? I'm thinking little silver coho flies.

These are supposed to work http://www.robertslures.com/

L_rl_ranger1.jpg

You will have a blast but I agree fishing in a Panja boat is your best chance of getting Rooster fish. You will have an opertunity to catch a lot of different fish. I went there on my honeymoon about 10 years ago and we went out on a charter it was a 32 foot boat there where suppose to be 3 other couples but they must have partied to hard the night before. We caught 20 tuna, 20 bonita and a 3 or 4 four durado but no rooster. We even caught some on a mexican fishing rod which was a glass coke boat with a bunch of line rapped around it. We where warn out and then they said what do you want us to do with the fish? We had no facilities to keep them so they hailed some small town and we pulled in and half of the town came down and they took all the fish. It was really kind of cool they where all smiling ear to ear.

Back