Prop wash for coho - spoon, buc

It's fun when they're on top but if there's a lot of weed in the water action is a lot slower maybe it has to do with how bait congregates-recent topwater action at Duval Point was like that even though Coho were thick.

Any of these lures work 'where the bubbles run out'.

IMGP0819.jpg

IMGP0817.jpg

This is the New Favourite

IMGP0282.jpg

https://www.mackslure.com/products/specialty-fishing-spinners-lures-flies/?ref=336&name=pee-wee™-wiggle-hoochie™

A small 2 stroke makes a better stream of bubbles than a 4 stroke which seems too powerful but maybe I'm overthinking that.

I've always wanted to try this but hated wasting time fishing incorrectly. I'm probably overthinking this but are you talking about the lure being 15-30 feet back or where the line enters the water?
It's not a waste of time when I do it. I usually have 2-3 rods on downriggers. If I got a spare rod, I'll put that straight out the back of the boat. Its just a supplement to the rods that are connected to downriggers so it isn't ever a waste of time.

It's not a waste of time when I do it. I usually have 2-3 rods on downriggers. If I got a spare rod, I'll put that straight out the back of the boat. Its just a supplement to the rods that are connected to downriggers so it isn't ever a waste of time.

Yup. I routinely run a surface or shallow rod down the middle. Doesn't get in the way. Produces! Just a naked grand slam bucktail.

Want it running just under the surface and lifting the rod tip randomly to skitter the bucktail along the surface will often trigger a strike. Like any fishing if they’ve got their eye on it and suddenly the action changes it’s go time!

So in a nutshell I want to run something flashy at a good clip about 15-20ish feet back and 3-5 feet down?

The little bit of weight is not to sink the fly 3 to 5 feet, its to keep it running barely below the surface so its not constantly popping out. It should be less than a foot deep ideally. If close enough to the boat you should be able to see the fish open its mouth ans swallow the fly. I've heard the popping presentation can work, and I'm sure it does, but personally haven't really done things that way.

Also, if you get a hit but it doesn't stick, either stripping out 4 or 5 pulls to let it drop back (like a crippled baitfish) or quickly reeling in 4 or 5 turns (baitfish fleeing the danger zone) will very often get that coho, or another one watching the action, to commit to a savage second hit.

One or 1.5 ounce banana weight... 2.5 - 3 knots... 2 or 3 beads and clevis and flasher blade above the fly (or hootchie).
That's what works for me. I've even cought them at 4 knots which is moving pretty fast really...

Back