PROBLEMS / LOWRANCE LC X25c

B

Betty Boop

Any one with expierience with the LCx25c? I have been experiencing poor readings on the sounder portion, used to be able to view the balls on all three riggers. Now I am lucky to get a bottom reading. I have set unit back to factory settings and that does not make any difference, once I hit the 3 - 4 hundred foot depth the screen goes all noisy all the way to the surface line and no reading of depth. Is this a transducer problem or will I need to send unit back for factory refurbishing? Or am I just not doing something right? The GPS half works great. Should I just use it as GPS and buy the HDS 5 and use it as my sounder? Any thoughts? Is there repair guys or any one that will go to boat and evaluate the problem?

I would replace the transducer. Lowrance is a great product, hit a local dealer and send the unit in for a checkup if you think its more than that. Lowrance is pretty good at backing product and often upgrades units for a small fee. Sounds like you need a transducer though, pretty simple fix. Could try your head unit on another boat if you know someone with a similar unit.

quote:Lowrance is pretty good at backing product
\
Now thats a load!!!~:( Go back and look at the other posts on Lowrance.. Next time my LMS25CDF craps out again ( and I know it will) I will be buy ANYTHING other than Lorance

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I guess you had a bit of bad luck...pity you. I have twice been given new units for an upgrade fee of about 300 bucks. This is with units, over four years old. Sorry you had bad luck and are bitter, I guess any product can treat someone bad. I was just suggesting something that worked for me, did not mean to ruin your day.

I would agree that it's a tranducer problem. It probably got hit by a piece of wood or debris while cruising. (We had the same problem with ours) Bring the unit to a buddies boat that has a LCX unit to test out first.

New transducers look to be about $125 in the US at Cabelas so probably about 30% more here in Canada. :(

Thanks I will look into trying the unit on a friends boat that has same unit. Never thought of that.

Here is an old link with some good info

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10646

i have used several lowrance products for many years , with very minimal issues ,
I a currently running the lcx25c for my sonar , and my 27c for gps/radar , or visa verse through my Nima Conns , after some minor adjustments , I now see everything in great detail , all bait and marked Salmon crystal clear ,I actually just bought the 200kh Skimmer transducer , for my Aluminum Skiff , today at Steveston Marine for $ 79.95 , I don't use the 50 kh on my dual freq trans. on my larger boat , doesn't work very well , the 200kh is good to 500 feet , works for me , my unit did something similar to yours , smacked it with a small branch i believe , changed it , was perfect after wards. Hope this helps

FD...;)

kosi99@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

For sure the transducer. Went thru the exact issue. Try Nikka if you are on the mainland they had the best price.

I've had issues with Lowrance as well. Gone back to the best sounder and radar maker..Furuno.

Spend the extra money and buy a good tramsducer. You'll never reget it.

"Who would have ever thought it would be this much fun catching them one at a time"

I have a new transducer, still in box. If youre interested give me your email and Ill send you pics of the plug in etc.
to
ensure its the right one, Ill trade something? Or call me 250 203 1830

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

one more thing, I know lots of people have had problems with lowrance, but I for one are a proponent of them. It has been great, I love the graphics for the gps and also the sounder.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I too like all the graphics of todays units, however more important is reliability. Not much use if it quits after 14 months and again after 4 years. The units I had before while not as nice to look at never gave me any grief. After 10 or more years use I sold them in working order. The new stuff doesn't last, the Chinese factor I think!

My lowrance sounder is on its 12th season without failures except for a couple of transducers that needed replacement due to impacts. Can't blame Lowrance for that. So from me - thumbs up and I will be upgrading this winter to a new Lowrance unit I think.

I think the difference is how many hours of use in a short time frame my units get. 10-12 hrs a day 7 days a week in the summer, however older units put up with it. I'm back to a Furuno 585 sounder, only one season on it so way to early to say much about reliability. I will never go back to combo units, ie; gps/plotter/radar/sounder all in one unit. Loose the display loose them all, not good.

Maybe just a bad unit ive had mine now almost 8 years with no problem the x-110 and love it and had one on the lodge boat a x-28 I believe which lasted 5 years before i sold it so both units running full time and no problem its electronics and things will fail some times you get good sometimes bad.
IN ALL of the brands mentioned I know of at least 10 other guides that run the lowerance so it cant be all that bad,
The ease of use is what I really like and definattly the color graphics on the gps mapping.

Good luck wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Back