Prawning depth

H

halibud

I heard prawn come into the shallows at night. Is this true? I dive and I have seen them in the day and night in 100ft. I set my traps two to three hundred feet. I spoke with a friend in Nanaimo and he fishes at 550 ft. Tell me what you know.

250-300 here and I find better during the day rather than the night. I have had lots of black cod, full of prawns, in my trap if left over night. Black cod are good, but not better than prawns.:)

Off Nanaimo I generally fish them 270 - 340 ft. Down around Tent Island I've had good luck 225 - 270. Different water I guess. Generally I find leaving the traps over night generates less prawns and less traps. I have tried moving them in shallower at night with no success as it seems they like the deeper water. Hag fish, octupus, star fish and crabs find our little captive morsels an easy meal and if left down too long will find your trap. Currents here are strong, throw in a bit of wind and your traps are gone. Most spots are adjacent to much deeper water and they don't have to move much before they are floating and gone with the current. That's a good point to remember, if the float off, they travel with the tide flow, not the wind. Oh yeah. Don't forget the odd tug pulling a boom. They are trap float magnets and account for quite a few lost traps over a season. Priced at over a $100 per trap, it becomes expensive after a while. Put them down first thing in morning, keep an eye on them and pull them every 3-4 hours and you should do okay. Put some weight in the traps to help keep them anchored but have enough bouy to float them if they do get pushed into deeper water. Make sure your bouys are well marked with your phone number. People are quite good at giving you a call it they see one floating free.
Good luck.

I fished them commercially in knight and kingcome inlets.Probabley 2 of the best kept secrets?We dropped them from 250-600 feet.Lots of full traps,they love dogfish...

At night prawns will come in very shallow, we drop salmon backbones off of our float and do night dives to see them feeding in 60' of water. With that knowledge in hand, if we are leaving our traps out over night we set them on the bottom edge of shelves going from water that is 350/450 deep up to shelves in the 100/200' range. If we are prawning during the day we fish depressions on the bottom where they are clustering to stay out of the current in water that is 250-450' deep. Finding a depresssion matters more than the depth. Try and to your trap on the up current edge of the depression so the scent line tracks into the depression. There is more to this than finding 350' of water and chucking them over the edge :) Having four traps on a double ended line makes setting accurately easier hence the need for the homemade pullers documented in other posts on the board.

My magic number is 130'. deeper than 180', we get Rock Lobsters in Brentwood Bay. Rock Lobsters predate on prawns and if you leave your trap soaking too long and too deep you retrieve munched up prawns and a trap full of R.L.s.
I try to hang my traps on a cliff or drop off which is lots of fun when a good tide is running.
I do this because I understand prawns back their butts into a crevice and leave their spiky bits pointing out.

I think shrimp are the one that come into shallow water at night, but only at certain times of the year. My grandfather used to catch shrimp off the Sidney Pier years ago with a bike rim net and a can of cat food. My Uncle told me that he did quite well.

Hey Adrianna, they must of been prawns as I understand that shrimp are vegitarians while prawns are meat eaters...... I could be wrong though, it has happened once before...:D:D SS

Well this is great info. I use a mix of prawn pellets and tuna in pantyhose. Seems to work any suggestions?

I had some good luck with a can of sardines. I put some nail holes in it and when I opened it up later it was empty.We had a full trap on that one.

weight your f'n rope! I had a wee bit of a melt-down in the derby last weekend when I wrapped my rigger and gear around a rope 100yds from the guys float[}:)] infront of Poett.

550' is in outer space, I have 400' lines and put 2 traps on the line and have prawned most of the ECVI north and have never needed to go over 350'. If you are getting squat lobsters you are on the edge off being to deep. That will very, I have picked up great numbers of prawns at 220 and at 250 the prawns may tail off a bit and squats will start to show. The same thing may occure at 300' to 350' etc. Each location is unique, try to look for troughs that flow into flats in the 220' to 400'. 300' is the common demoninator plus or minus. Use lots of bait oil is GOOD.

I buy prawn bait pellets at Buckerfields and before putting it in the bait cup, crush a bit to help speed up the scent trail. I also toss in a can of Carlyl Just Tuna cat food. Pick it up on sale for less than $0.50 a can. Pop a few holes in it. Seems to work fine. I have friends that open the can and add half a can to each bait cup with the pellets to save but it gets messy trying to get it in the bait cup. Other friends just use the cat food and have good luck as well. If there are any volume of prawns the cat food is gone long before the pellets. You are also getting lots of good info on the right contours to fish. The squat lobster is a good indicator of depth as are the sea lice. Go too deep and you get lots of both and less prawns.

shawl bay 298 to 307 feet deep 40 to 100 prawn and shrimp per pull pellets then saving the prawn heads we use them at the same depth for crab (tanner, box & dungie)we only keep the dungies

With my limited prawning experience I find that my biggest challenges are location/location/location, setting the traps where you want them & keeping the traps where you want them. As far as bait goes I like Stress Medicine's idea: give them a smorgasboard: cat food for instant attraction and pellets for longer lasting. Location speaks for itself or does it? Some say fish the edge of a drop off, others have said to look for a relatively flat (gravel/sand) bed and others say look for a hole/valley. I find the spot that works one time doesn't necessarily work the next. To get my traps down at the spot I've picked I kind of circle my boat slowly around the location while the line is playing out. I used to "run out" as the line was playing out and would find that the traps always wound up in much deeper water than I started with. I've heard some theories about keeping your traps where you want them: some put weight in the trap, some just use the weight of the trap itself,while others will weight the line. The theory is that prawns do not like a moving target. There is a lot of force between tides and wind off of Nanaimo. After my traps are out, I like to circle around and cruise by my floats to get a feel if they are close to where I want them. If I found I didn't like the set I'd pull them right away and reset them. No point in leaving them where it's too deep. Oh yeah...I think the question started out about depth...200-350'.

Howdy,

Great thread! Thanks to all.

I'm finally going to start prawning for the first time in my life and I'm really looking forward to it.

No more Safeway (2/for $15) fricken' Tiwanese prawns for this dude.

Got the traps, a puller, and a big bag of pellets (thats been leaking all over my basement floor for some time now).

Oh yeah... I got a boat too.

Ye-ha!

Cheers,
Terry

A further question on Prawns - Has anyone tried dropping traps off the West Coast, in open water?

I've been playing around with this idea for a while, but never tried it. I was thinking that some time when I am going Halibut fishing about 10 or 12 miles off-shore, I would take some prawn & maybe some crab traps with me and drop them in 250' of water while fishing and pick them up when I am done.

I'd be curious if anyone has tried this. I've always kept my traps in the inlet, close to home.

I snap a 10# ball on my line after the second trap is over the side learned from experience after finding my traps hanging in 800' of water after trying to set em in under 300'.Circling is a good thing as well.Having some halibut and prawn kabobs tonight!!!!!Hard to believe some folks are shoveling snow!!!!
kronic

Back