Port Moody Boat Launch $$$$$

I’m using that launch maybe once a year now. No guarantees on parking and an all round !#%# show! I go to Sunset or MacDonald

Mike

Wow. That sounds steep. What was it last summer? I forget. But I don't think I paid that.

Fees increased because launch fees were being subsidized by Port Moody by way of increased dredging costs to keep the ramp operational. More info here:

An extra $10-20 for a launch and parking isn’t great but overall it’s a small cost compared to a boat’s operating costs imo.

At the end of the day, keeping the Rocky Point ramp open costs $$$$$, and the fees reflect the true costs, not a low price subsidized by thousands of Port Moody taxpayers who don’t even use the facility. Just to add some perspective.

Fees increased because launch fees were being subsidized by Port Moody by way of increased dredging costs to keep the ramp operational. More info here:

An extra $10-20 for a launch and parking isn’t great but overall it’s a small cost compared to a boat’s operating costs imo.

At the end of the day, keeping the Rocky Point ramp open costs $$$$$, and the fees reflect the true costs, not a low price subsidized by thousands of Port Moody taxpayers who don’t even use the facility. Just to add some perspective.
Thanks for the background info.

It's almost impossible to find moorage or indoor storage with ramp access in the Vancouver area. Waitlists are pretty long for places that have descent access and security. Expect the prices to only go up. It's a supply and demand thing.

At least there is a reason - I can understand the cost of dredging being reflected in launch fees. Launch fees at Pitt Meadows Marina went up to $35/launch last summer and those guys desperately need to dredge their dock facilities as well as the mouth of the Alouette. Grant Narrows also bumped up their launch fee last year as well (hopefully some of that money starts to improve the docks - which are in awful condition).

I hear ya and agree to an extent, but if you increase it that much and encourage enough people to just go elsewhere, then your overall revenue probably doesn’t really increase. It is the best launch for tide access & ramp/dock condition etc so comparatively speaking it’s on par. Day fees in the $40’s are a bit steep tho.

On a related note, I got an annual pass for MacDonald beach for this year. At $173 for the year it’s an absolute steal, especially considering it allows for overnight parking as well.
I believe Rocky Point annual is $500

On a related note, I got an annual pass for MacDonald beach for this year. At $173 for the year it’s an absolute steal, especially considering it allows for overnight parking as well.
I believe Rocky Point annual is $500

The MacDonald Beach pass also allows for up to 5 consecutive days of overnight parking.

I hear ya and agree to an extent, but if you increase it that much and encourage enough people to just go elsewhere, then your overall revenue probably doesn’t really increase. It is the best launch for tide access & ramp/dock condition etc so comparatively speaking it’s on par. Day fees in the $40’s are a bit steep tho.
I’m not sure if the cost benefit of driving another 30-45 minutes each way to Cate’s Park is worth saving $20 for most boat owners. Unless a guy’s time is worth less than $10/hr plus gas lol. As you said, it’s the best launch for tide access.

Back