Polarized Clip-ons or Coccons? Magnifiers for Buffons?

So, both wife and optomitrist say I am blind, prescription lenses cost me 1000 buck for just the lenses:mad:. Would like both polarized lenses for fishing and some magnifying lenses for tying but never worn either one before so...

Any suggestions regarding types of clip-ons that work well and stay on? Flip ups? is this a useful feature? I would see it worth while on the magnifying lenses but what about the polarized?

Looked at the Cocoons and wife started killing herself. Said I already looked old, and with those on I was my dad just need more ear and eyebrow hair:eek:. I would be happy with any extra hair:rolleyes:! Besides she doesn't come fishing!!

Anybody have brands or types they have tried and liked or not? I have read lots about the standard brands and lense colors, Maui Jims sound nice and expensive but cannot find posts for the blind!

Thanks, James

First of all you have not been dealt the best hand in life, but your goal is to play your hand to what is best for you. You are not going to a fashion show, you are going out to enjoy yourself. Get what you can use and feel comfortable with and bedamned the rest. Life is too damned short so get out and enjoy it, I would be the last person to make fun of it. :) :)

i use mountaineering frames with side sheilds. i had the prescription made up for the lenses, single vision. i then found at my local tackle shop some stickon magnifiers. you simply wet them and they stick to the lense. you can also trim them to get them in the correct field of vision. i have paid the expense of bifocal fishing glassses but never again. these stickon magnifiers were about ten bucks. biggest issue for me has always been finding framess that stay put. these mountaineering frames really do the trick even when sweaty hot. they are made by Gucci.

Just to be clear, I am not actually blind just wear thick lenses that still don't get me anywhere near 20/20 and they are as good of an indexed lense as I can buy. Buying another set in polarized doesn't make sense unless i was sure of the color etc.. that I find worked for me.

And looking good has never been an issue that concerned me one way or another. But wife says I clean up good. Mostly looking for options for those of us not buying prescription versions of lenses.

Ross what color lense of the cocoons did you buy? What is your typical usage? River, Lake at dawn or mid day?

RF, I will look into the stick on magnifiers. Never heard of them. Optomitrist suggested Progressives at last appointment but besides expense I understand that once you get adjusted to them it is hard to use standard single lenses. I try and play sports with my kids and I know guys who say the progressives are terrible for that.

I have two pairs of cocoons, one brown pair for the bright days and a yellow tint for the overcast days, I did not pay that much for them, picked them up from a local optomitrist, in Langley, Debbie Mozelle Optical. They may not be as good as Muai Jims but then again about forty bucks a pair they are whole lot cheaper when you need progressive lenses like I do.

Ross

Back