Oyster River Public Notice - Salmon/Trout

bgillard

<center>FISHERIES AND OCEANS CANADA
PUBLIC NOTICE
OYSTER RIVER</center>

Recreational Fish Harvesters are advised that the following closure remains in effect:

The current non-retention, non-possession regulation for ANY species of Salmon in the NON-TIDAL portions of the Oyster River and Tributaries, remains in effect year round.

(Closed to fishing for Salmon in the non-tidal portions of the Oyster River)

Yellow Triangle signs posted: one on the Pac. Playgrounds side and one on the tree on the North side of the Oyster River, indicate the tidal/non-tidal boundary for the Oyster River. These signs are located at the estuary.

Salmon fishing is open in the tidal portions of the Oyster River as per the 2009-2011 BC Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Guide.

Non-retention of Wild Trout and Char. Retention of hatchery marked fish only. Daily Limit 2. 30cm Min. Size.

[<center>b]Single barbless hooks are required in all streams in British Columbia year round. [/b]</center>

NOTE: Several complaints have been received in regards to persons actively targeting Salmon in the non-tidal portions of the Oyster River and careless fishing practices close to the Pac. Playgrounds Resort. Fishers are reminded to practice ethical fishing behavior.

Report all violations 24 hours per day to 1-800-465-4336

quote:Originally posted by bgillard

<center>FISHERIES AND OCEANS CANADA
PUBLIC NOTICE
OYSTER RIVER</center>

Recreational Fish Harvesters are advised that the following closure remains in effect:

The current non-retention, non-possession regulation for ANY species of Salmon in the NON-TIDAL portions of the Oyster River and Tributaries, remains in effect year round.

Yellow Triangle signs posted: one on the Pac. Playgrounds side and one on the tree on the North side of the Oyster River, indicate the tidal/non-tidal boundary for the Oyster River. These signs are located at the estuary.

Salmon fishing is open in the tidal portions of the Oyster River as per the 2009-2011 BC Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Guide.

Non-retention of Wild Trout and Char. Retention of hatchery marked fish only. Daily Limit 2. 30cm Min. Size.

[<center>b]Single barbless hooks are required in all streams in British Columbia year round. [/b]</center>

NOTE: Several complaints have been received in regards to persons actively targeting Salmon in the non-tidal portions of the Oyster River and careless fishing practices close to the Pac. Playgrounds Resort. Fishers are reminded to practice ethical fishing behavior.

Report all violations 24 hours per day to 1-800-465-4336

Just for the sake of wondering.... I find that announcement confusing.
I have checked the Provincial site and FOC and could not find anywhere that stated "No fishing for salmon" Are we to assume the steelhead fishing will be closed this year on many of our west coast runs because there is no retention

OYSTER RIVER 1-6 No fishing upstream of the confluence with Little Oyster River , Dec 1-June 30
Wild cutthroat trout release

and nothing here:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region1-eng.htm

I don't see no fishing for salmon anywhere??
Its bad enough that there is 2 sets of regs that work with each for a given region but if there is a unwritten set of rules as well that would have to leave a guy really scratching his head.
If you could elaborate a bit for us that would be great
Thanks

I have a question too. If you stand in an open spot and fish your gear in a closed spot you are fishing illegally. But if you stand in a closed spot and hook your fish in the tidal section can you retain the fish? I guess so.

Did you notice the original Public Notice published by Mr. Gillard is addressed to:

"Recreational Fish HARVESTERS"?

Were you an angler who wanted to "harvest" a salmon this info tells you where you can and where you can't do that with regards to the Oyster.
Pretty straightforward and you can still go fishing on the Oyster non-tidal part for recreational purposes and if a salmon is caught then you simply must release it, along with everything else except hatchery cutties, as per the regs.

Take care.

I don't fish the Oyster.
On a public notice I just wonder why the above was added. There is a difference between no fishing for salmon and no retention of salmon [8D]

....And not sure why my first post was bold... that was un-intentional

Back