Outboard Servicing

Tips Up

Thoughts on how often outboards need to be serviced?

I have 2018 Yamaha 115 main and 2018 Yamaha 9.9 Kicker. I am on the water a fair amount. Put 38 hours on the main from August last year till now. Not sure how many hours on kicker but I would estimate about 100-125 hours.

I am not super mechanically inclined and do not enjoy this type of work. I am comfortable changing my engine oil and leg oil but that is as far as I take it.
Before I upgraded the motors I ran older 2 stroke main and older 4 stroke kicker. I changed engine oil, leg oil and plugs annually and only took to a shop when there was an issue.
With the new power I want to keep up with service but at roughly $400 to service main and $200 to service kicker I want to do only as necessary.

If I change the engine oil and leg oil myself a couple of times per year. What else needs to be done and how often should I be taking to shop?

Thanks

Thoughts on how often outboards need to be serviced?

I have 2018 Yamaha 115 main and 2018 Yamaha 9.9 Kicker. I am on the water a fair amount. Put 38 hours on the main from August last year till now. Not sure how many hours on kicker but I would estimate about 100-125 hours.

I am not super mechanically inclined and do not enjoy this type of work. I am comfortable changing my engine oil and leg oil but that is as far as I take it.
Before I upgraded the motors I ran older 2 stroke main and older 4 stroke kicker. I changed engine oil, leg oil and plugs annually and only took to a shop when there was an issue.
With the new power I want to keep up with service but at roughly $400 to service main and $200 to service kicker I want to do only as necessary.

If I change the engine oil and leg oil myself a couple of times per year. What else needs to be done and how often should I be taking to shop?

Thanks
Let me start with the fact I’m not a mechanic. Besides oil/filters and gear case lube I do the fuel filters and water separator. Check the sacrificial anodes , my boat is moored so they go pretty quick . Hit all the grease nipples . I also spray the electrical contacts with Boesheild . If you reasonably confident with a wrench have a look at the anodes in the power head and exhaust , they are easy to check and replace if required . Many DYi videos on checking those anodes if you don’t know how.That’s about as far I as go , anything more ya better pony up for someone that knows what they are doing...

4 stroke maintenance for average users...
crank case oil 3 times a year
gear case oil 1 time a year
plugs every 3 years
visible anodes as required
fuel filters every 2 years
thermostat check annually and replace every 3 years

This will keep you out of the shop for the most part,
but every motor is different.

Thanks for replies. I will continue doing the basics myself and take in for the things I am not based on the timelines noted.

Back