OTTER INVASION !!!

B

Betty Boop

HOW DO YOU GET RID OF THE STINK FROM OTTERS THAT HAVE INVADED YOUR BOAT? SHORT OF PULLING THE DRAIN PLUG! IS THERE ANY WAY OF KEEPING THEM OFF YOUR BOAT. I HEARD THAT SPRINKLING HOT PEPPER POWDER WILL DETURE THEM ANY ADVICE? [xx(][xx(][xx(]

Dont use caps its like your screaming. Do a search there was a thread on this a little while ago

How do I do a search??? Notice uper and lower.</u> Is that quieter?

I would make a boat further down the dock look like a more attractive home for them. Throw in a few fish heads to get them settled in, should help keep them away. :D

Good idea PF!

If there's some pecker-head you don't like, throw the fish-heads/guts in his boat.

Put a little straw in there too, so they can make a bed.

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

In some places they're digging into the styrofoam floats and making nice warm comfy homes. Personally, I thinks that's brilliant of them.

Bad news for the docks. They keep cattle in with electric fences. There has to be a way to create a 12V electric fence around your boat while you're tied up & plugged into the wharf. Maybe an overhang fence???

That would keep them out. If they're smart enough to dig into styro, they'd be smart enough that twice shocked, they'd likely not be back to your boat.

Good luck Betty...

Ha Betty. Iv'e said it before but here go's again. The easyest and best way to keap nasty critters away is get a cheap battery powered A/M radio, leave it on a all talk radio station, (CBC works great.) That will keap animals and people away from your boat. Give it a try it works. :D

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

I tried the radio and it didn't work a 100%. I also tried Capt Ron's otter repellant that this guy uses at Oak Bay marina. They were still coming on board, but not doing the damage they were before. I didn't leave my boat in long enough to test this product as it was the end of the season. Sooke Basin has big time invasion.

are these river otter or sea otter? just curious as this past year i actually saw a first for around here, a sea otter on the dungeness spit.

River otters-- sea otters dont "do" (or is that do-do ?) boats!!;)

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I've spotted 2 single sea otters in the Sooke waters over the last 5 years. Both on the move, (heading east) not settling in. Probably looking for a hot date, but no one told them pickings are slim down in these parts.

is that from personal experiance PF????

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

When I worked for the Anchorage marina, we had a big Otter Problem, the only thing I found that worked to rid them was moth balls

:) Thanks boys for all the helpfull tips, throwing heads and guts onto my neighbours boat didn't draw the otters to his boat like I had hoped for, but the seagulls are sure havin' a good time of it!!! As for telling the difference between boy and girl moths I am having some difficulty, will it work if I put the whole moth on the boat? or do I really have to take the balls off of boy moths? Again thanks for all the advice, you boys are so knoleageable!!! :D

Back