Orcas smash seals around Hornby again!

Osama Bin Hopper

But I got to witness it this time!!!!

It was probably one of the coolest things I have ever seen. About 12-14 of them just went into a frenzy in Lambert Channel yesterday at about 11am. They rampaged for about an hour before moving north.

We have video of one thrashing a seal on the surface and just as my buddy is filming - fish on!

Nice seven pound ho.

Went to the Thatch for lunch, came back out and tagged another ho and called it a day. What a day.

Osama
I was out there Saturday night and seen them around Norris rocks,just hoping to see a feed,but nothing.
Spent the night in Tribune and stopped at the Thatch for lunch also,there were two other boats there when I arrived one of them must have been you.I was the Bayliner.anyway
Heading north in Lambert they were there and put on quite a show,but diidnt see a seal slaughter but I was wishing
Was a great day out there

Osama
I was out there Saturday night and seen them around Norris rocks,just hoping to see a feed,but nothing.
Spent the night in Tribune and stopped at the Thatch for lunch also,there were two other boats there when I arrived one of them must have been you.I was the Bayliner.anyway
Heading north in Lambert they were there and put on quite a show,but diidnt see a seal slaughter but I was wishing
Was a great day out there

I would love to see that video.Any way you could send them south a little bit? Guaranteed all they can eat at Mistaken.

I would love to see that video.Any way you could send them south a little bit? Guaranteed all they can eat at Mistaken.

Excellent to see, Fantastic to get on Film Rabbi!!
You GOTTA burn me a copy of that one!!:D

Got to see two successfull attacks this season. On one occasion, a large California sea lion figured out one of our trolling buddies was unarmed, and so set about savaging each and every spring he hooked. Fella cried out for help over the radio, and we were moving in to try and dissuade the offender. Lion came up just to the side of his port main, shaking a smiley all over the surface. Suddenly he spit the fish and let out a bellow. A huge bull orca had grabbed him just above the tail, and promptly set about shaking the lion all over the surface, much as the latter had been doing with the spring. A little better than a dozen more orca's moved in, and the water exploded with spray, foam and blood. T'was all over in less than a minute, but you could hear the roars of encouragement from all the boats in sight!! Cool to watch!
The other is somewhat "controversial" in nature, so will have to wait until in-person encounters... ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Excellent to see, Fantastic to get on Film Rabbi!!
You GOTTA burn me a copy of that one!!:D

Got to see two successfull attacks this season. On one occasion, a large California sea lion figured out one of our trolling buddies was unarmed, and so set about savaging each and every spring he hooked. Fella cried out for help over the radio, and we were moving in to try and dissuade the offender. Lion came up just to the side of his port main, shaking a smiley all over the surface. Suddenly he spit the fish and let out a bellow. A huge bull orca had grabbed him just above the tail, and promptly set about shaking the lion all over the surface, much as the latter had been doing with the spring. A little better than a dozen more orca's moved in, and the water exploded with spray, foam and blood. T'was all over in less than a minute, but you could hear the roars of encouragement from all the boats in sight!! Cool to watch!
The other is somewhat "controversial" in nature, so will have to wait until in-person encounters... ;)

Cheers,
Nog

I have noticed a few less seals fishing around Comox/Kitty wonder if that’s the reason.
Can’t wait to see the video. GLG

I have noticed a few less seals fishing around Comox/Kitty wonder if that’s the reason.
Can’t wait to see the video. GLG

Good to hear!

famouspicoftransientandharbourporpo.jpg

Can You actually Shoot Seals that steal your fish? or should I buy a silencer?

Klink

A silencer or take a rusty old 22 that you can throw overboard.
A 12 guage is a little to loud.You'll scare the fish

Ive had 1 fish stolen so far by a seal, Ill put he word out in the seal community that I pack a gun when Im on the Straights

Klink

quote:Originally posted by Klink

Ive had 1 fish stolen so far by a seal, Ill put he word out in the seal community that I pack a gun when Im on the Straights

Klink
you must be lucky. i've lost at least a dozen to seals and one to
a sea lion.
(no killer whales yet ;))

Give it time lol I just Moved to Campbell River last month, Im sure Ill lose my share to seals <3

Klink

Back