Olympic Tackle Sandlance......

Seafever

Was at Ted's Sport Center site (Washington state).......noticed he had these flies called "Olympic Tackle Sandlance"

They looked pretty good...anybody tried them?

(Sorry...I'd show you a pic but I'm no good at posting URL's or sites.....:()

Yes...that;s it,,,thanks ..

They are thinner body than the Grand Slam.....they come in some other colors too....

I've got some. They look great in the water.

There's a thread on another board about them.

Managed a coho on one this year.

The bad news is that Grand slam bucktails are not being made any longer.
One of my absolute favourites. The people that have the business are looking to sell it.

We run 4 rods usually, They out fish hoochies a on our boat and keep up with anchovies in Nootka.

Usually have used green needlefish. Had a white needlefish on in nootka this year and hit a fish in the first 30 seconds of our trip in the middle of the day. Lost it releasing the fish in the water beside the boat. Dam.

Yes...that;s it,,,thanks ..

They are thinner body than the Grand Slam.....they come in some other colors too....

Olympic Tackle has done some work on their website it really looks good now.

http://olympictackle.com/

5438811_orig.jpg

I picked up 6 of them at Seattle Boat couple years ago. I've had real good luck with them. I run them on a 40lb leader that is 42" long, a 5/0 blue hook instead of stainless. Always on the bottom.

Anyone know where you could find those squid imitations in Vancouver or the Island? They look awesome! The eye is super cool!

Grand slam buck tail flies back in business

Just noticed that the grand slam buck tail flies are coming back. Website says they are taking orders.

http://grandslambucktails.com

I've had good luck with them for chinook and coho. Both behind a flasher down deep, as well as on the surface way back from the boat.

Thanks for the heads up on those,barkerfam.Been wanting to try them out,but they had stopped production.Good to
see they're back in action.Definately gonna nab a few for the tackle box.

Thanks for the heads up on those,barkerfam.Been wanting to try them out,but they had stopped production.Good to
see they're back in action.Definately gonna nab a few for the tackle box.

No problem. I'm anxious to try the big ones (magnum) in Nootka this year.

I picked up 6 of them at Seattle Boat couple years ago. I've had real good luck with them. I run them on a 40lb leader that is 42" long, a 5/0 blue hook instead of stainless. Always on the bottom.

Isn't it interesting how people will use this fly/hoochie for what ever species they think is most suited for.
here you are using it for springs and all previous were talking Coho's.
With the blue hooks, do you have to dry them and separate the hair so it doesn't get rust stained? or spray WD-40 on it?
I have some blue hooks and am looking to find the right way to use them. Any advice?

Don't be put off by the fact these are called bucktails. Run behind a flasher down where the springs are works very well. They out fish hoochies and they are very durable. Some of mine have some rust stains from last years hooks. Havent tried cleaning them. Manufacturer advises against using scents on them as it gums up the hair. When I found out they were being discontinued I bought every one I could from bellingham to port hardy. I often run them with a small 2 inch strip of anchovy on the front hook under the hair. They are killer on chinooks and of course coho like them also.

I have mostly used the needlefish size. But they all work and you can match local bait size, if you like fishing hoochies you'll love these. Now I have a box of hoochies I never use.

Good to hear they will continue to make them. Leader length is printed on the package and on the website depending on what you are fishing for. I just follow those lengths.

Isn't it interesting how people will use this fly/hoochie for what ever species they think is most suited for.
here you are using it for springs and all previous were talking Coho's.
With the blue hooks, do you have to dry them and separate the hair so it doesn't get rust stained? or spray WD-40 on it?
I have some blue hooks and am looking to find the right way to use them. Any advice?

Goathorns ,
Sorry for the delay, I just pull the blue hooks away from the lure. I usually only fish blue hooks twice then change. I also run blue hooks on my UV hootchies. If you are looking for a good coho combo, you might try a LARGE barrel swivel (I think it's a double otte) and a blue 5/0 hook.

Back