Okanagan sockeye 2022

DFO email today says fishery is closing one hour after sunset Aug 31.

Anything I need to know for tomorrow? Dummy flashers on the cannonballs plus the usual flasher/pink hootchie setup? Leader length?
Last time out for us, no dummies. The “usual” flasher and 2” hootchie. Short leader. We were using 12-18” and had a limit in short order. Was going to fish tomorrow but will probably be Sunday.

Anything I need to know for tomorrow? Dummy flashers on the cannonballs plus the usual flasher/pink hootchie setup? Leader length?
Not that it matters now because your probably on your way home with your fish but, we did really well with a white with pink hooch on chartruce flashers (bon chovie, no bananas, the red Twishted Sista that I was sure was gonna be a killer didn't do as well as I was hoping.

Tough day out there in the 15-20 kn wind. Got some hits and fish, but couldn't find any formula that worked consistently. Trolling at low speed meant we couldn't cross through the upwind quadrant without gassing it up. Ended up making long downwind tacks crossing back and forth to stay in the right water depth, then pulling gear and running back upwind on the main. Still went home short two fish.

Went out today. On the lake by 5 AM.

Had a limit by 7:30-8. Once the sun was out it was hard and fast for us. Couple double headers. Lost probably 3 or 4. Had our 8 fish pretty quick.

Might try one last time on Wednesday before it closes.

55’ and 1.5 mph. Pink hootchie 18” leader.

Saw a lot of boats trolling what seemed way to quick.

All over for 2022. ONA are saying 477,000 fish this year, the highest ever since Bonneville counting records began in 1938. Four week sport opening, although like many others I would have preferred a four fish limit over a two week opening.

It was good... Some people got to experience salmon fishing for the first time, tonns of laughs, couple broken rods, 2 downrigger counters blew out and a few fillets for the freezer not to bad of a season. You are right though.. 4 fish limit would have been way better.

I think boat traffic was another part of their decision making process this year as they normally include the long weekends in the past and 4 fish per day would also get more boats coming from further away… maybe. IMO they need to take out way more fish as the system can only take 80,000 fish max before they disrupt their own spawning grounds. We went out for last two days and we were marking a tonne of fish all over lake and we caught our 10 by 9am both days. Still firm as long as iced right away. Over 100 jars canned and over 30 lbs of candy smoked!! Great year, what an opportunity for kids and to catch salmon in swim shorts and bikinis!!! Thanks to all that have put effort into making this fishery happen we really appreciate it, keep up the good work!!

I think boat traffic was another part of their decision making process this year as they normally include the long weekends in the past and 4 fish per day would also get more boats coming from further away… maybe.
Fair point, although I don't know if FOC takes such things into account. Isn't the decision based solely on abundance and associated biological/environmental factors? The fishable area of the lake can handle a lot of boats, but parking for trailers... not so much.

Happy to see a decent number of sockeye gathered at the dam in Penticton this morning, having a look at the fish passage to Okanagan Lake. I would think the aggressive fish went up long ago and are seeking spawning habitat already, the fish I saw were red and will probably spawn in the channel below the dam.

This is another good news salmon story that won't make the news. All we see is pics of dead salmon in the creeks to promote the save the whales narrative.
Good news doesn't sell.

I fished the Osoyoos sockeye several times this year and saw just one floater, but I find it hard to believe there's any media agenda in the interior regarding salmon. Much more believable is that they're understaffed and simply don't have time to go looking for stories, good news or bad. Seems like half the video content in the evening news these days is submitted rather than content they've generated for themselves: phone video, dashcam video, security cams, social media postings. That in itself is a form of unconscious bias, incidents that were not reported in the past become stories today because there's video available.

Back