North Island Mushrooms

AWSOME day for shrooms was up in the duncan hills was able to get 2 5 gallon buckets full here is the pics of them washed and ready to go into the oven.
Sookesalmon2010066.jpg

and then finished after being in the oven till done, you can sse the amount of liquid I saved from them .
Now ill make a big batch of homemade cream of mushroom soup with onions,celery,leeksgarlic and fresh rosemary with all that stock and then freeze it up in containers for soup, sauces etc

Sookesalmon2010067.jpg

Notice the color change

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Glad to help had the Soup for dinner tonight was most excellent and now have some dryed one ready to go for a gravy/sauces.
marinading a WT deer roast for 3 days going to rotesserie it and make a sauce using the chantrelles. thats why I pick them makes wild meat soooo damn good.

good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Anybody going out in the courtenay/comox area and looking for some company I'd love to go out. I have done it before some years ago but I'm not really knowledgable-chance to meet some more local guys.

th_fishing2006026.jpg

quote:Originally posted by spring fever

Anybody going out in the courtenay/comox area and looking for some company I'd love to go out. I have done it before some years ago but I'm not really knowledgable-chance to meet some more local guys.

th_fishing2006026.jpg

Lets go...

Spring Fever and I went out today and found a few.:) (Nice to meet you again).. Guess someone had already gone thru this area and picked it clean. Problem is though, mushroom picking can get costly when a rock takes out your tranny pan. I wanted to go out tomorrow or go fishing as it is my birthday but I guess I will be working on my trany.:(

So that was the loud bang when we crossed the grader furrow. Sorry to hear that. Enjoyed the jaunt-nice day, If I can help give me a yell. Great meeting you again.

th_fishing2006026.jpg
"So many fish-So little Time"

anyone heading out on the weekend? ive never gone and would love to go with someone that knows whats going on. I live in comox

quote:Originally posted by fishassassin123

Spring Fever and I went out today and found a few.:) (Nice to meet you again).. Guess someone had already gone thru this area and picked it clean. Problem is though, mushroom picking can get costly when a rock takes out your tranny pan. I wanted to go out tomorrow or go fishing as it is my birthday but I guess I will be working on my trany.:(

I feel your pain dude. Theres nothing worse than being forced to work on my own ****e.:(

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:Originally posted by lorneparker1

anyone heading out on the weekend? ive never gone and would love to go with someone that knows whats going on. I live in comox

Do I dare say any time??? Sure I will.... I am always open to going out picking or fishing.

Had a good trip yesterday, though some of my intended companions suffered a catastrophic mechanical failure and were prevented from coming along. Those of us who made it out put in a long day of exploring, and we were rewarded for the effort. After a slow start we got into a good spot that turned up about 20 lbs. of golden chantrelles in an hour or two of picking. In addition, we gathered a respectable haul of boletus mirabilis, one big lobster mushroom, a troop of shaggy manes and a collection of other lesser known edibles. We rounded out the night with steak and frites (home made, not McCain's)served with piles of chanterelles fried with onions and a splash of balsamic vinegar. And a few well deserved (and delicious) beers. A fantastic day with family and friends in the warm sunshine of early fall.

Found out today that St. Jeans Cannery has stopped buying because of no market. The Riverbend store in Port is offering a 1.00 up for quality. Does anyone know of any other buyers between Duncan and Courtney. My crops are prestine and I would like to get them out before the rains this weekend. Thanx in advance-dirty:D

thanx downchild, hit my spots today.. Wow, I have never seen so few in my usual haunts.. Nice to get out though, and there were enough for a few dinners and the freezer[:p] cheers dirty

thanx downchild, hit my spots today.. Wow, I have never seen so few in my usual haunts.. Nice to get out though, and there were enough for a few dinners and the freezer[:p] cheers dirty

I got out with FA once and had a go myself while we were on a drive and did OK. What I would like to know is does this rain this weekend finish them or will a new bunch come up when it dries up. What finishes the season -please don't say DFO I couldn't take that!!

th_fishing2006026.jpg
"So many fish-So little Time"

Depends on the amount of rain, usually a heavy rain will moisten them to the point of rotting. From what I saw the other day it looks like some rain will be welcome to get another batch going.. It also does not hurt to get a few cool nights in after the rains to keep the foliage and forest floor damp and cool. Generally after the first couple of heavy frosts things come to an end. I have found them under a layer of snow as well, but rare..;)-dirty

So was out around the in-laws cabin at Cowichan and there were an amazing number of shrooms out. Found a couple of good batches of Chanterelles. There were probably at least 10-15 different types of mushrooms out there -- we even saw a few corals which are cool looking.

I saw one type of mushroom (or something) that initially looked like a rotten log (until I noticed there were a bunch all pushing out of the ground). They were dark brown -- very much a dirt colour and were growing along the side of the logging roadway on one of the unused roads. Weird shape -- sort of rectangular and very large -- probably 3-4" across and just about the same height. Almost looked like a bunch of rotten 4x4 posts until I realized they were a plant of some sort. Anyone know what these are?

TenMile
<'((((><

Back