Non-Skid Paint Options

Waterwolf2230

Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide what I should use for non-skid on my aluminum boat. I've heard good things about Kiwi-Dek but I was hoping that there was something that came in a spray form that was easier to apply and could be more consistently laid down. Kiwi-Dek is not that easy by the looks of it to make it look good.

Many thanks,

WW

You talking KiwiGrip? Looks good but not too sure that a one part is going to stand up for long. When I regripped the floor in my boat I used an Interlux product, what a pain that was but is tough as nails.
I was talking to Outlaw Marine about that when I was in there just can’t remember what was recommended. They do a ton of non skid on their jet sleds builds. Their in Red Deer, might be worth a call.

Last edited:
Had a fiberglass/fabricating business then spent 13 years ,until I retired at a local shipyard.......are you looking to ''non-skid'' floor in open tin boat or deck/s on a larger aluminum boat?
on large commercial fish boats we cleaned the area to work on....then a ''yellow'' primer-sealer...an aluminum compatible color coat with ''silica sand'' and a quality paint roller sleeve...the more you roll,the more aggressive the NON SKID becomes......the clean-washed silica sand is available from most paint stores......by it from a ''speciality shop'' and its $$$$$$$$$$$$$.
again,this was procedure for commercial boats and I might add.......non skid fiberglass sundecks finished with gelcoat........house kitty corner to me in north nan. has been sold 3 times since I glassed the deck and over a big garage and its still going strong...that was back in 1993.

Had a fiberglass/fabricating business then spent 13 years ,until I retired at a local shipyard.......are you looking to ''non-skid'' floor in open tin boat or deck/s on a larger aluminum boat?
on large commercial fish boats we cleaned the area to work on....then a ''yellow'' primer-sealer...an aluminum compatible color coat with ''silica sand'' and a quality paint roller sleeve...the more you roll,the more aggressive the NON SKID becomes......the clean-washed silica sand is available from most paint stores......by it from a ''speciality shop'' and its $$$$$$$$$$$$$.
again,this was procedure for commercial boats and I might add.......non skid fiberglass sundecks finished with gelcoat........house kitty corner to me in north nan. has been sold 3 times since I glassed the deck and over a big garage and its still going strong...that was back in 1993.
Its for a larger aluminum fishing boat. The aft deck is 9'6 x 9' and I want to do the gunnels as well as the roof of the pilothouse. I think Interlux makes a system similar to what you suggested. Prime>paint>spread silica sand>paint and voila. Is that what you were talking about?

I used interlux interdeck on a floor and wouldn't recommend it. It holds so much dirt and grime.

01BD2507-FD04-4ED3-893E-3BA8C32744DD.jpeg EAE0A1E2-7F77-42A4-ABDB-4B563F03F3FB.jpeg I had Line-X sprayed onto my 17’ DE project - light gray, too. I had the floors and up the sides to under the gunnels, on the side panels, top of the gunnels and on the bow. Looks great, cleans up nicely, and is reasonably non-skid. Find someone who’s had it done to their truck bed - touch, feel and spray a bit of water on it and see if the non-skid and this product is to your liking.

On a larger boat/commercial fish boat,the idea is to ''not slip and fall''. dirt is a secondary consideration... the dirt and grime can be cleaned with a stiff round brush we called N****R -HEADS or TURK -HEADS(before it became politically unacceptable).
there is a trade off point where ya want it to look pretty and has a minimal amount of ''non skid'' to aggressive so when you are pulling in a big HALLI on the ''OUTSIDE'' and there is a Lump on the Chuck or its just really snotty.....once you loose your foothold you can get hurt in short order trying to get back in control.....
as a side note, the more you ''roll'' that silica sand or crushed walnut shells,the more aggressive it becomes.......practice on a piece of plywood to get what you want....

I can tell you ive seen for years one of my buddies aluminum boats he has tried just about everything for non skid floor , he used my shop in winter as it has a wood stove and boat can slid in to do it he has guys come spray "special" adhesives. hes tried rolled on stuff ,2 part stuff, eventually it all comes up from being used and then it starts to peel unfortunately . Alum is a ***** when it comes to that and paint looks GREAT once done give it 1 season in slat water and it starts to look ******. I see some just put mats down and then clean them.
he finally just put a new checkerplate floor in...

All i can say is good luck I saw him for over 10 years work on that floor looking back now alot of man hours and it still didnt work....

I'm interested in doing some non skid for the gunnels on my Hewescraft. Am curious on what you will try. I was going to do the adhesive grip tape stuff (that is like sandpaper) but a buddy mentioned to be cautious using it around the fishing cockpit because it can damage your fishing lines when they are against it, so i didnt do it. i have some of that in various places on the boat though and it has held up nicely to the last decade of its life. I was thinking of the Kiwi grip too.
On another note, I have the vinyl wrapped plywood floor. I am curious about those who have that shiny checkplate everywhere. My boat is dual purpose, fishing and doing cruise trips with the family. We went to Poet's Cove last weekend and the checkplate cover for my floor storage locker became radioactive in the sun. Burned my feet (we were swimming), couldn't imagine if the whole floor was covered in that stuff! need shoes all the time for sure. Probably not a concern for a Renfrew-only boat.

I wonder if the composite material that looks like teak strips could be glued down and edge sealed? I don't remember the name of it,but I think Roy (Wolf) used it in his boat.I googled it,Sea Dek,Deck King etc..It sure looks nice and should be easy to clean,only question is if it will stay glued down under hot conditions on the aluminum.

Last edited:
I used what they call sea deck and must admit 2 years now its had over 1000 people on still doing great... and comfy on the back

The best I've ever done for non-skid is roll out some WR-LPU clear (recommended by someone on this forum incidentally) and then just toss some grit additive for epoxy driveway sealer on it.

I put it on the bottom of my dinghy and it wears really well and grips like crazy. I live at my cabin now so I commute every day by boat and that dinghy gets a TON of use. The grip is like I just did it.

The grit additive I bought at home depot for something like eight dollars.

I would not put it anywhere a girl might want to lounge or a fishing line might rub. It will eat thin fabrics like sandpaper.

Back