NMEA 0183 - confusing..

Fixit

the equipment:
standard horizon cpf300i plotter/fish finder
standard horizon gx1000s dsc radio
smaftcraft gauges

dispite spending the last 4 nights googling everything possible on the above im having a hard time figuring out what can and cant be hooked up and how?! it seems that there is very little available good info out there

vhf/dsc seems straight forwards, made the connections i though were right, but i dont have a MMSI number yet, so im wondering if thats why the vhf isnt showing lat/long or if its on the plotter end of things?

secondly, for gps info output to the input for the smaftcraft gauges (allows me to get mpg/fuel data also trolling speed control) does that require a second port? or can it be parallelled?

what sentences need to be turned on on the plotter? any good reading material for me?

I would call Mike Perkins for the smartcraft info, I'm sure he can set you straight on that,
the other should be fairly easy to figure out.
your VHF should be showing gps info if you have it hooked up correctly
if you hang tight I'll get you the connections

Fixit
this is what you want, not sure how you got it now
CPF300 blue to GX1000 purple
CPF300 Brown to GX1000 Blue
Green to Green
You should have GPS co-ords even without the MMSI, remember when you input your MMSI # you only get one chance, it cannot be changed afterwards without sending it back to the manufacturer

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks hookin up. That's what I had figured out for the wiring
Still not sure what the plotter needs to be sending to the sentences ie three letter codes

Not getting and lat/long data for VHF :(

Dunno about std horizon GPS/plotter stuff but just hooking up wires isnt all you need to do. There must be a menu for 'communications' ( I only know Lowrance ) the GPS needs to be told to start transmitiing to those wires AND at the right speed ( baud rate )

I have similar equip on my boat. I needed to use two comm ports because the autopilot baud rate is waaaay different than the VHF radio.
I DO have the 2100 Std horizon radio tho - this part I can help with - there is a menu option to turn on 'GPS receiving' on the radio side of things too ( not near my boat just now to give you exact inst. )

Make sure port 1 is enabled and just check off all sentences

nmea -0183
only does one TX/ RX

don't try split a signal it will only talk to one device or receive from one

b08cc03914caa59ed2a2ed5608d7391a.jpg
25593d689e620c7e16a04db1d6a4c930.jpg

Finally got it figured out
Turns out the cpf390i and the cp390i (fish finder and plotter/ plotter model)
Differ in one important way
Green is nmea common ground on one, port 3 output on the other

After I grounded the correct wire it worked flawlessly

b08cc03914caa59ed2a2ed5608d7391a.jpg
25593d689e620c7e16a04db1d6a4c930.jpg

Finally got it figured out
Turns out the cpf390i and the cp390i (fish finder and plotter/ plotter model)
Differ in one important way
Green is nmea common ground on one, port 3 output on the other

After I grounded the correct wire it worked flawlessly

Glad you got it working. As long as devices are set to communicate at the same baud rate, I've found that it's often quicker to just permute through all the various potential combinations of wires than to try to use logic to figure out which goes where.

way to go
glad you got that sorted nothing better than working electronics other than a fish hitting....lol

Back