Nitinat River ?

Anyone been there in the last week or so? How is the water level? Thinking about going tomorrow.
Debating between the Stamp or Nitinat.
Thanks.

Fished the stamp yesterday. Saw a few going through but low numbers. Didn't catch anything. Fished u/s of the range. Good luck!

I would think with water conditions it would be pretty poor... There is rain next week but its only showers forecasted we need a good dumping...Chances are also these fish(Chinook) will be fairly dark and tired/stressed entering in these systems. Many have been milling around estuaries as the rivers since end of Aug. Most island rivers are all way below where they should be.. If it were me I would wait a few weeks and than target a species that are more plentiful if its open like coho... The San Jaun in Renfrew is a good bet in coming weeks once rains kick in...

Decided not go to today, going to work on getting my boat shelter extended and put up. BUT, A friend of a friend went to nitinat river yesterday and limited out on springs I was told. Haha wishing I went now. Oh well.

Well with how low the water is I bet he just hand picked them outa the river and tossed them in a cooler. Cant imagine it would be very sporting. I would wait for some water and nail some ocean fresh coho when they move in!

It may not be wise to post reports on rivers smaller than the Fraser.

Nitinat's already a gong show. Has been for years. I just assume all the yahoo's concentrate on a few hatchery rivers like it and the Stamp.

Well with how low the water is I bet he just hand picked them outa the river and tossed them in a cooler. Cant imagine it would be very sporting. I would wait for some water and nail some ocean fresh coho when they move in!

Apparently caught on the fly and they were still nice and silver.

Apparently caught on the fly and they were still nice and silver.

I mainly fly fish. If I wanted to I could floss way more fish than someone using a spoon when the fish are stacked in low water. It's not by bag since I don't kill many fish, but for some it is there only crack at these fish. Being they are all surplus hatchery clones, and they are not keeping fouled fish I'm OK with it.

Its a freeken embarrassment.
Upsets me every time I see it

I mainly fly fish. If I wanted to I could floss way more fish than someone using a spoon when the fish are stacked in low water. It's not by bag since I don't kill many fish, but for some it is there only crack at these fish. Being they are all surplus hatchery clones, and they are not keeping fouled fish I'm OK with it.

Yeah I don't keep many fish either, Usually don't ever keep them out of the rivers. Last time I went to Nitinat it was a gong show. Guys snagging them all over the place, dragging them onto the beach and smashing them over the head with a rock. Was playing one and some guy was getting mad at me cause I was "taking too long". I had 12 lb test and didn't want to lose my gear. He had a spin casting rod with like 50 lb test on it. Would just drag them on to the beach. No fun in that.

Sounds like the legendary Sooke river cowboy.. White boots and and cowboy hat.. Spinning reel with a six pack of Buzz bombs.. If not the cowboy then there are 2 morons out there !!

It has been raining. Hope the river is high and salmon can swim up. I was there last week, no fish at all.
Any update?

The river has been closed for Retention and will open up for coho and chum Oct 15 as usual.

30 years ago i was there on the river,crossed the river and had a fish on ,when a black bear came 20 feet behind me ,I jumped in the river and swam across and broke the fish off on the other side and went home wet.

30 years ago i was there on the river,crossed the river and had a fish on ,when a black bear came 20 feet behind me ,I jumped in the river and swam across and broke the fish off on the other side and went home wet.

Too bad that was 30 years ago. If it happened now, it would have been captured on someone's phone or GoPro and we'd all be laughing at it on YouTube!:D

yes , Too think my fishing partner on the other side was fumbling for a shot, before yelling "BEAR".remember that bear that jumped into the boat at Pt. Renfrew, gordon river few years back.Bears are evolving to fisherman in there environment. Nitinat might not be a good place to keep a fish at your backside.

Back