Newbie trout fishing

Neave

Hey guys, me and some buddies have just started getting into fishing over the past little while, we fish mainly the Nanaimo area, but like too boot around too other lakes on the island as well. I'm wondering which lakes are the best to fish this time of year? What kind of lure set up should i have for this time of year? We have access to a boat but we do shore fish sometimes. Any other info would be helpful.

Thanks

I can only speak for the Victoria area, Elk, Langford and Prospect Lakes are probably your best bet, all are easily accessible.
Oh man, there are so many different ways/lures etc. to target trout, I either float Powerbait Power Eggs 2-3 feet off the bottom or slooooowly retrieve soft plastic worms.
I normally fish from shore, anyhoo, that's what I do but I'm sure lots more can be added to this by others....

...and hey, don't forget to hit up Elk Lake and try the carping, good times :D

I would highly recommend against langford lake, I have had some really horrible days there lately. if you want to just hook up, and size is not a matter go with prospect. If you can troll a black flatfish with silver specs that would be your best bet. going as slow as you can while still getting the action on the lure is the ticket. Let out alot of line, around 50-75 ft. Because your in Nanaimo, your probably unaware of all the rowers at elk lake. I dont fish elk for that exact reason, its a pain having to weave your way through all the rowers.

kunni

check out fuller lake, quamichan lake and cowichan lake there are pretty good lakes that tend to hold alot of bigger sized fish

I have to disagree with the comment about langford lake,I will say it is probably your best bet in the victoria area.I can't remember the last time I came off langford without some good action.Like any other lake you need to know how to fish it.this time of year slow and deep.Sunday last two over three pounds in just over 4 hours and lots of action.stay around the aerator,use worms and go slow

a ford fender,a cowichan spoon,gang troll with a trout killer.about 1oz of weight and 50-70 pulls and real slow,tow a bucket if you have to

get a backroads map book at any fishing store and go exploring - there must a 100 lakes within a couple of hours of your location - load up the truck/car and hit the road. Its going to be tougher fishing until the water warms up again in the spring but they are still there if you have the patience.

get a backroads map book at any fishing store and go exploring - there must a 100 lakes within a couple of hours of your location - load up the truck/car and hit the road. Its going to be tougher fishing until the water warms up again in the spring but they are still there if you have the patience.

Definitely great advice for a new trout fisher.

Anywhere that a river or creek of decent size enters a lake with a steep drop off there will be a good large density of fish. trying dead drifting worms or tossing lures into the current and let them drift over the edge of the drop off.

there can be higher densitys of fish in other places such as shoals but it can be diffucult for someone new to fishing to identify these areas.

Comox lake, Cameron lake, the Nanimo lakes and Sproat lake all have good river mouths worth fishing.

If you are shorebound, head to a larger lake known to hold cutties and pitch spoons off the beach. Like others have said, get the book and take a drive. There are lots of fish in those urban and semi-urban lakes. But it is nice to get aray from the bustle too. Or, go run egg imitations in a salmon stream for some cutties. Regs permitting, of course.

Hey guys, me and some buddies have just started getting into fishing over the past little while, we fish mainly the Nanaimo area, but like too boot around too other lakes on the island as well. I'm wondering which lakes are the best to fish this time of year? What kind of lure set up should i have for this time of year? We have access to a boat but we do shore fish sometimes. Any other info would be helpful.

Thanks
U 20 flat fish are hard to beat his time of year in a few colors, rainbow trout, black with silver fleck, frog crackle,...Ect. Spider lake, Cameron lake, wolf lake, upper and lower Campbell lakes....are all good spots fish will be shallow and troll slow enough that the rod tip is just bouncing, use the boat every chance ya get and your success will greatly improve.

Back