Newbie looking for good fishing in March/April

markrrr

Hi, I'm new to fishing. I have a question.

Where in BC would you recommend for a beginner to learn fishing in March or April? I would like to catch fish that are good and legal to eat. Some place where the fishing is productive- I'd like to have some success! :) I don't have a boat or other equipment, just my truck. I'm looking for a smaller/modest investment in gear. I was thinking lake or river trout? Currently I'm in the West Chilcotin (near Tatla Lake) but will be returning to the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island in April.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Mark

Hey! I'm new too and if you're looking for productive lakes, stocked always seems to work for me! My BF got me a really good fishing map book from the local gear shop, and I've been finding that pretty useful. If you're on the Island (where I am) I had some pretty good luck last fall at Durrance lake-small fish, but really consistent hits with not much investment (spinner reel, powerbait, and garlic attractant) I found that to be really good practice.

St Mary Lake on Saltspring Island has decent Rainbow & Cutthroat fishing in April there are lots of small Bass too but the water might be too cold still for them to be very active-and that's Good News if you want to target Trout.

There are a few small resorts open early in the season that will rent you a boat (no power boats on the lake) or there's a couple spots to fish from the bank right @ roadside.

i need more info on your trip in april to direct you too a fish.You going west on 20 to bella coola to hardy?, charlet lk off hyw 20.East on 20 south to Lilowet and west 99, I would spend some time around pemberton,burkenhead bulls sounds fun.If your on hwy 1 to lower mainland try some of the lakes south of chillawack.kelts will be moving and you can find them on there way out to sea.heard como lake lifted a age restriction.I never spent much time doing these trips,I may try one day.good luck

Back