New to Okanagan Lake

Hi folks, I've been out on the lake a few times now and have tried bucktailing, Apex, fishinator, old Lyman and new Lyman plugs and the improved Lyman-style made in west Kelowna. What's got me curious is that we only catch a fish when trolling north, into the wind. Is this common for u guys too ?
Also want to understand why we're only getting 1-2 lb trout. Where r the linkers ? We've been down to 100 feet but catching mainly on r leaded line rig up, usually out 4 or 5 colours.
Any suggestions on how we can improve our tactics ? We're getting better at knowing where to find the fish, just need to hear the Daiwa sing.

Cheers, Dave

From what I learned on that lake when I lived up there, it is more of a function of time spent than 'targeting' the bigger fish. They are there, mixed in, just not super plentiful (and spooky). If you are getting 2lb'rs it's just a matter of time to get a 5+.

That said, you can always upsize your presentations. You will get less fish, but increase your liklihood of a linker.

Also, try real hard to dial in your electronics and see if you can't find them at a certain depth or off a specific piece of structure like a point, ledge or hump with a feeder stream closeby. And don't sleep on jigging if you find a spot where you mark them or that otherwise looks fishy taking into account structures and features noted.

Hi folks, I've been out on the lake a few times now and have tried bucktailing, Apex, fishinator, old Lyman and new Lyman plugs and the improved Lyman-style made in west Kelowna. What's got me curious is that we only catch a fish when trolling north, into the wind. Is this common for u guys too ?
Also want to understand why we're only getting 1-2 lb trout. Where r the linkers ? We've been down to 100 feet but catching mainly on r leaded line rig up, usually out 4 or 5 colours.
Any suggestions on how we can improve our tactics ? We're getting better at knowing where to find the fish, just need to hear the Daiwa sing.

Cheers, Dave

Hey Dave (Sorry havent reached out been crazy last month here lol),

congrats on getting out and atleast getting into some fish, there is no set strategy for the big boys BUT from the years of fishing Okanagan Lake ive learned especially in the winter season run almost everything in the top 40' of water and surface with 1 oz of weight 300' back from the boat even use planer boards if you have them! gets the lines away from the boat so when the fish spook they goto the sides. Speed is key as well we find on bucktails 3.2 to 3.5mph is a magic speed and on plugs 2.3-2.5 mph have always worked really well for me! Try to fish in deep water 450'+ youll be surprised you wont mark a thing then BAM your rod will go off usually with a larger fish. Okanagan is such a large piece of water the fish tend to school near peachland, antler beach, squally point and across from squally on the highway side.

As for gear your pulling the right gear, colors are huge right now Bucktails that produce are Red/White/Black, Root Bear (Brown/Black/yellow), Grey Ghost (Ligh grey, white) and Dark Grey Ghost (Dark Grey/White/Black). Lymans that produce this time of year Betty White Fishinator, Shazam Lyman, Trixie, Army Truck, Gold Lyman Plugs, Mac Squids etc just some ideas for you, now remember also bright colors on bright days and dark colors on dark days! that is huge and DOES make a difference.

Talk to @BCROB about some fly's hes tying up some beauties and have produced some hogs lately 10+lbs.

Last edited:
Hi @Damien and @kingblazer84, what a day we had today. I had to share it with you guys especially since you have been such great mentors. Your lures and locations have been spot on. We've even come up with our own ideas that worked today. I used my bushcraft experience today, as Damien suggested, and read the underwater topography perfectly. In less than 30 minutes we landed a 1 pounder, then a fiver, then .... hang on to ur shorts .... a 20 pounder. Memories were definitely made today, thx in large part to the support of u guys.
Now we gotta go out next time and replicate these results but not bad for our fifth time out on a new lake using totally new gear and techniques to us fly fishers. The biggest lesson was that u don't have to mark a fish to catch it, like kb84 told me.
Cheers guys !!!

Hi @Damien and @kingblazer84, what a day we had today. I had to share it with you guys especially since you have been such great mentors. Your lures and locations have been spot on. We've even come up with our own ideas that worked today. I used my bushcraft experience today, as Damien suggested, and read the underwater topography perfectly. In less than 30 minutes we landed a 1 pounder, then a fiver, then .... hang on to ur shorts .... a 20 pounder. Memories were definitely made today, thx in large part to the support of u guys.
Now we gotta go out next time and replicate these results but not bad for our fifth time out on a new lake using totally new gear and techniques to us fly fishers. The biggest lesson was that u don't have to mark a fish to catch it, like kb84 told me.
Cheers guys !!!

Congrats a 20#!! That’s a hog! Got some pics did you release? hey I’m glad my intel worked for you! That’s the whole point of fishing share and get more guys into fish!

Hi There I have been fishing on Okanagan Lake for a few years now with varied success depending on the season and its nice to see a few big ones being caught. Agree that the big ones are better safely released to help promote the long term success of the fishery in OK Lake.

Back