New Anyone Tried The New MR2LA Islander Reel

My experience level is low compared to some on this board, but chartering each year has given me some insight into what to get for myself because I see a variety of equipment that is subjected to intense conditions day after day. Landed 30+ lb springs on Islanders and Shimanos and Daiwas. They all did the job fine. For my own boat I bought Shimano. To be honest I really didn't perceive the luxury element with the Islander, perhaps that is inexperience showing.

Hambone......

I can afford an Islander reel......I could go out right now and buy half a dozen.

The Islander reminds me of some kind of demanding high maintenance woman. As do all the other finicky issue-prone reels that are currently available.....if it isn't drag issues it's handles falling off or spool problems or (fill in the blank)........

It may be "status " to own one......but I could care less about that.

I just think they are targeting a certain category of fishermen with the price and style of that reel. But I certainly don't think you get what you pay for.

Actually.......I don't want a "butter-smooth" drag......I want a drag that has a bit of initial friction bite to it.

The reel I am currently using has both the initial friction bite and it is also as smooth as I need.

As far as reels compared to cars I think a better comparison for that reel would be the Edsel or the Pontiac Aztec. In other words over-hyped and over-rated.

Bottom line :- here's a company that makes reels....they've made several versions. As a potential customer I read all the reviews on said reel versions.

Do I like what I'm reading?...No.

Have they successfully "upsold" me to buy that reel?......No.

Did the "upscale" marketing ploy work?.......No.

Are the reviews and marketing convincing enough that I'll buy one?....No.

Funny that this part of the world is the only place where "knucklebuster" reels receive the adoration they do...

Look at most videos of people fishing for far bigger fish than salmon around the globe...and you'll see saltwater spincasting reels or level-wind types.....(with the exception of Australia to a degree).

Last edited by a moderator:
Owned 2 MR2's for about 3 seasons.The line creep drove me nuts,so I sold them and bought 4 Shimano 4000GT's and
still had $300 left over fora decent fishfinder upgrade.Don't miss them one bit! I agree with Seafever.You pay way too
much for what you get!

Will be trying these new MR2LA's out shortly,
then I'll be selling a couple mint gold MR3's mounted on a couple Fetha Styx ta boot, I really do prefer the mr2's to the mr3's and I think these will be the ticket for me

Never had a problem with my shimanos i beat the crap out of them and in my opinion if your going to rely on drag systems for big fish and cant palm your reel a little to slow it down if need be, just buy a level wind type reel, they far surpasses the island moochers for line creep and drag. I have tried mr3 2s and originals, a few of my friends get guide pricing on them and i have had the opportunity to pick them up for 200 bucks but cant justify it. By the way too you don't notice any drag problems with big fish they pull hard then stop there is never jerky action on heavy weights mostly just the fish that barely have enough to get the spool going.

reels 2 x 600 + taxes =1440.
lowrance hds7
gas
gear
beers

no brain er

Owned 2 MR2's for about 3 seasons.The line creep drove me nuts,so I sold them and bought 4 Shimano 4000GT's and
still had $300 left over fora decent fishfinder upgrade.Don't miss them one bit! I agree with Seafever.You pay way too
much for what you get!

I agree with what you said Fshnatic... I have a well broken in MR2 that still suffers from line creep even after having the reel worked over by both River Sportsman and Islander. Also, I have replaced the handles twice from the original MR to the upgraded original MR3. And then later to the larger Islander paddle handles. None of them are as comfortable as my GT4000s. And I have never had creep with the Shimanos. My "goto" gear now is a 9ft Trophy with the GT 4000 . And the fish sure dont know the difference!

You bet,CL.Love my Shimano's and that's not likely to change any time soon.Islanders are highly overrated IMHO.

Love all this debate. I own 6 islanders. To be honest they are not as advertised. The MR-2 is still the best overall reel. I like the large arbor on the MR-3's however the drag adjuster is a royal pain in the butt. I have a lot of customers who grab the reel handles and when they forget to take their fingers off them when the fish runs their fingers get caught in the drag adjuster backing off the drag all the way. As you can imagine this creates an instant birds nest. This is a major design flaw in the islander MR-3 reels in my view. The new design on the MR2LA incorporates that same stupid drag adjuster, therefore a nice reel is still a POS. I think for the $ there are better options out there. Hopefully Islander can make changes to that drag adjuster and go with something like they have on the MR-2's that don't catch your fingers.

I find the biggest advantage of an islander is the smoothness when picking up line. When a fish takes a big run at the boat, I can pick up Line much quicker with my Mr3 than I can with a clunky Shimano. Even a Peetz is smoother in this regard. I do agree that the Shimano rubberized handles are more comfortable. Searun, I find that if you get the heavier clicker spring from Islander that it keeps a little pressure on the clutch and aleviates almost all birds nesting.

I can't see that, the spool diameter would dictate how much line is retrieved per turn.
since the shimano is the same diameter as the MR3 they would pick up the same amount of line.
4.6" spool picks up approx 14" per revolution.

I just meant that I can reel the islander quicker than my Shimano because of the smoothness.

I can't see that, the spool diameter would dictate how much line is retrieved per turn.
since the shimano is the same diameter as the MR3 they would pick up the same amount of line.
4.6" spool picks up approx 14" per revolution.

I used to love shimanos. Yes there proven etc etc...But I couldn't go back to using them just clunky. Don't enjoy playing fish as much with them... Its not to say they don't work, but its hard to compare if you never owned a few of the higher end reels.

I went for trophys as I could get both for one price of islander, and spent a little more and upgraded to the delrin islander paddle handles. I am extremely pleased with them. The only downside is it is not made here.

I've owned TFO Pacific, Hardy Longstone, Shimano's , Alvey's , and Diawa mooching reels.
I've used Peetz, Islander MR2 & mR3, and Trophy reels.
They all have strong points and weakness's.
In terms of durability and low maintenance, Shimano's win hands down.
JMHO ;)

I have had zero problems with my MR3 , 0 line creep, the loosening the drag to drop gear on the riggers is a bit of a pain but once you get to the desired depth, set the drag near snug and forget it, like big.griff said the smooth retrieve of an islander beats the hell out of clunky retrieve of a shimano hands down.. , I thinks if islander makes a free-spool switch on the islander mr3 it will silence all the critics the MR3 has the smoothest retrieve of any mooching reel I have tried hands down, mine was a gift but I am going to buy another mr3 and am quite happy to do so.in fact if someone wants to buy me a blue ported MR3 I will get an islander logo tattoo!

What about the Coast DR1.0 reel ? They are really nice colours. Those are reels have no free spool. If the Coast DR1.0 Reel has free spool , I will buy it for sure.

I have the Island MR 2 and the Trophy XL Tyee Both are nice and sweet. I have couples of Shimano 2000 GT and 4000 GT are awesome and zero problem. They are tough ones!

The MR2 and Trophy XL Tyee reels are very fragile because I do not want they get ton Scratches because they are very sensitive painted.

Love my MR3 and no issues.
Line creep when new but not after break in.
Easy to service and smooth like butter.

Trophies would be my next choice and seem best bang for buck.

Shimanos are good to keep the costs under control but once you've had Aluminum reels they don't compare.

I have no problem justifying the costs. My reel is the tool to my hobby. If I golfed I would spend more on a set of clubs.
If I played hockey my skates would cost the same...

Tips

Just a quick update on this.
I Have had these new MR2LA's for a while now (Thanks Derby)
and I have to say I really like them, they are physically the same size of the MR2, every bit as silky smooth as the MR2 but look a lot like the MR3, large style arbor, new MR3 style paddles, recessed drag knob (same as mr3), Drum freespool lever and above all else NO line creep for those of you that couldn't get past it:rolleyes:
I do very much like the smaller size of them vs My old MR3's they aren't as big and clunky so to speak(for lack of a better term) and add a little more excitement to the fight with the slower retrieve speeds due to the smaller arbor, you have to work harder
only problem I see now is I may need a couple more:D
Tim

Back