Nechako River - Vanderhoof

Brian N

We recently bought a house (almost 2 years ago) on Nechako River in Vanderhoof. I have heard many people talking about fishing the river, but, can never find any information about it. I haven't fished a river for many years, since I was growing up on Vancouver Island, and have never fished a river quite like this.
I am more of a lake fisher, sit in a boat and pull in some trout.
I have looked at the regs and cannot find much on the Nechako. I will be doing more reading when I get some time.
I guess my questions would be... What could be caught in the river (I have heard there is a wide range of fish, including salmon and trout). Also, what gear/lures would work?
I have been thinking of getting into fly fishing, but, have had no experience in it.
Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Brian

I know there is a monster sockey run that goes up the Stuart but check the regs. Some big butt sturgies there too that the natives get in the nets from time to time. Must be trout there but when I was a kid most of the fishing was done in the Lakes mainly Stuart. Pinchi Creek also offered dynamite fishing but 30 years ago the rules were probably different.

Back