Navionics CF Cards

ydouask

[?] I'm new to chartplotter use. Am purchasing a Raymarine A70D Which card is better for Vancouver Island Gold or Platinum Plus. I've not seen either so I hope this isn't a dumb question.

Which ever card you buy make sure it is current. I bought one from a local Yamaha/Etec dealer here in Courtenay. Who also has stores in Campbell River and Nanaimo. Guess what, it was out dated. Costing me up to $50 in taxes and duties to get the newest version. There is no exchange program in Canada. The only one is thru Navionics which causes the buyer to pay taxs and duty on the replacement or be with out your card for 3-4 weeks.

Be carefull when buying. Make sure it is current.

I upgraded my Vancouver Island Gold to the Vancouver Island Platinum Plus a few months ago when I purchased my new HDS8 Lowrance. There's more features on the platinum plus charts loaded on a 16 gb SD memory card when compared to the Gold Chart (128 mb). Additional features include 3D, chart shading, satelite overlays (looks like Google Maps) and panoramic pictures of harbours. Some very cool features but do we really need it? Probably not...but it's cool! [8D] Is it worth the $150 price difference? Depends.

Make sure you shop around as I noticed a $100 difference in prices for the Platinum+ card.

You can check out some of the chart differences on the Navionics website:
http://www.navionics.com/MarineFeatures_PlatinumPlus.asp

Back