Mooching livies on the sunshine coast

Nothing better than fishing with dad and my uncle in Quarry bay, Bjerre shoal, Francis point, Lasquiti, seal rocks, bargain harbour and sangster.
The year would start off at camping at silver sands usually around Easter weekend fishing bluebacks. We never really fished for springs because the coho were so numerous. We did later on in the summer but they were sort of a by catch.
We never really trolled back then everything was done by mooching live herring.
These essential building blocks of a young person growing up intertwined with fishing is what has made my family today. These key values of truly being Canadian are what our youth need these days. A kid who is camping or fishing will hold better values than a kid who has not experienced this.
Seeing the communities and people’s livelihoods being taken away without any true thoughts as to the harm it does to us As people and the economy is horrible and wrong.Especially if conservation is not the true goal.
DFO has completely taken away these opportunities for many families. And no I will not justify doing catch and release mooching or trolling just to see seals take my fish or have bleeders die needlessly. I hold more respect to our fish than that. But to each their own.

Sorry for the rant, Pender harbour and mooching hold a big place in my heart.

Last edited:
As Whitebuck said, mortality is definitely one thing to consider with live herring. The hooks are tiny and quite often the salmon will completely inhale the herring (2 small trebles) making the salmon very hard to release without damage. I like the idea of trying a single through the snout but while live herring is deadly for catching it does do a lot of damage to the salmon if looking to release. That's been my experience anyway.

As Whitebuck said, mortality is definitely one thing to consider with live herring. The hooks are tiny and quite often the salmon will completely inhale the herring (2 small trebles) making the salmon very hard to release without damage. I like the idea of trying a single through the snout but while live herring is deadly for catching it does do a lot of damage to the salmon if looking to release. That's been my experience anyway.
Thank you for the heads up. I'll save it for the July 18 trip.

You're right sometimes they gobble it right down, I always use bronze hooks, because they rust out fairly quickly if you have the leader break or you cut it to release a fish that has the hook to far down.

Back