Millions of Atlantic salmon introduced to B.C. streams since 1905

Who knew?;)

I am inclined to agree with Dave and Birdsnest that the ON GOING careless release of Atlantic's is the least of our problem with Fish Farms and wild salmon.
But would add it's just another example of the Fish Farm owners COULD CARE LESS attitude and lack of respect for our environment.
Will watch to see if you, Birdsnest, Bones and Shuswap reply to the Agentaqua's post today on the Sea Lice forum.
In case you missed it....
For Immediate Release – Sept. 26, 2017
Environment and Climate Change Canada Reluctant to Enforce Regulations against Aquaculture Operators

http://www.conservationcouncil.ca/e...ce-regulations-against-aquaculture-operators/
this quote kinda sums it up
Aquaculture companies use a variety of drugs, disinfectants and pesticides in response to sea lice and disease on salmon, issues that come along with farming fish in the open ocean. Chemical residues and pesticides are released into the ocean after use despite limitations under the Disposal at Sea Regulations and the serious risk of harm these chemicals pose to the marine environment and wildlife.

Past century salmon processing plants up and down this coast sit rotting but are a testament to the reproductive/re-stocking unrivalled productivity of nature. I visited one of those up in Rupert updated as a tourist attraction and was told that so many salmon were harvested that they could not cope with such mass and the surplus was dumped. That was just one plant. We can have it again by a re-hire of nature. However, nature has no lobbyists. It is up to us to take back the wild from corporate greed of the (foreign) few who do not give a ***** and f' the rest of us.

Who knew?;)

Everyone who has looked at the history of Atlantic salmon attempted introductions here in BC knew. That's who.

Why do you ask?

And do you think that having eggs, fry, juvenile fish and the like introduced during the early part of the 20th. century, mostly on Vancouver Island when native stocks of everything were still abundant is the same as having thousands of six to ten pound Atlantic escapees today, when native stocks of everything are mostly in a severely compromised situation is the same?

And the author attempted to link the Hells Gate disaster with the early introduction attempts when there was no connection at all that I'm aware of. Seems somewhat revisionist to me.

Atlantics are notoriously poor colonizers which is one of the reasons they are farmed and have not created any self-sustaining runs as yet but they have successfully spawned in rivers here on Vancouver Island and their progeny have been captured. Everyone who pays attention knows that.

Given there is virtually no attempt by the Feds to look for Atlantics in rivers here on the island it's difficult to know where we're at nowadays relevant to any reproductive successes, which might be a concern, n'est ce pas?

Colonization by escapee Atlantics is almost the least of the concerns relevant to open net-pen farming though, so I'm not going to freak too freely about escapees.

If I ever catch one in the Tyee Pool that might change though. LOL

Take care.

As I have said all along...fish farms are the perfect answer for people who don't know what's going on with the Fraser or don't want to tackle to racial issues with netting to extinction on our rivers....

Back