messing-with-nature

I thought everyone was well aware of the fact Salmon Ranching was problematic? Just made sense!

I thought everyone was well aware of the fact Salmon Ranching was problematic? Just made sense!

In the year of the salmon presentation one of the presenters said that every time Russia upped its hatchery production, Salmon survival in Alaska dropped.

Also climate change with respect to northern hatchery release times also seems to be benefiting them more.

In the year of the salmon presentation one of the presenters said that every time Russia upped its hatchery production, Salmon survival in Alaska dropped.

Also climate change with respect to northern hatchery release times also seems to be benefiting them more.
I’m sure that the amount of salmon production by Alaska, Japan and Russia has had an impact on local wild populations. It’s also pretty selfish when you think about it. Let your fish loose to fed and compete in other nations waters as well as international waters and then have exclusive access to them when they return to spawn.

I’m sure that the amount of salmon production by Alaska, Japan and Russia has had an impact on local wild populations. It’s also pretty selfish when you think about it. Let your fish loose to fed and compete in other nations waters as well as international waters and then have exclusive access to them when they return to spawn.

I think at some point hatchery production will be included in treaties but the glacial pace of that kind of negations is well glacial.

I think at some point hatchery production will be included in treaties but the glacial pace of that kind of negations is well glacial.
I hope so. This to me is more than what I’d consider normal hatchery production, we’re talking a huge commercial undertaking, designed to support massive harvest at the natal rivers. None of this is even under the pretence of supplementing wild stock, it’s replacement. I’d wager those who operate small scale hatcheries in Washington, Oregon and California have some serious concerns as well. Alaska seems to March to the beat of their own drum.

Last edited:
Agree w Ziggy. Alaskans - ya - good luck on them being reasonable or forcing them to be reasonable. Last time it took a ferry blockade in Rupert to get the feds in the Canada & states to put pressure on the Alaskans to come back to the table to negotiate another Pacific Salmon Treaty:

and that was done by fishermen - NOT government types. Not sure where the pressure point would be on this one.

Last edited:
Agree w Ziggy. Alaskans - ya - good luck on them being reasonable or forcing them to be reasonable. Last time it took a ferry blockade in Rupert to get the feds in the Canada & states to put pressure on the Alaskans to come back to the table to negotiate another Pacific Salmon Treaty:

and that was done by fishermen - NOT government types. Not sure where the pressure point would be on this one.
Agreed it sure gets complicated with Russia and Japan and I believe possibly Korea also all Ranching. Many Nations and just one Ocean.

Agreed again, Ziggy. Nobody wants to give up any $. That's really the issue.

I did a quick calculation of the Alaskan panhandle poundage (Areas 101 thru 106) caught & landed from that latest Watershed Watch Report (Lead Author Greg Taylor) and applied an average dockside price. $76 BILLION/yr for 2021 in the panhandle alone - $9.5B Chinook, $12B chum, $6B sockeye, $0.5B coho and remarkably - $47.5B in pinks alone. And that's dockside prices alone - not wholesale nor supermarket prices. That'd be ~4 times that amount.

Back