merc help/suggestions

dohboy

I have an old merc 1978-70hp, how hard is it to change the seals in the lower gear case, i have some very milky oil, is this something i can do or is it best to pay someone else?
at least i am assuming it is the seals any way to test this

hey there dohboy i have an older 40 hp merc 1990 and i believe i have the same problem! at least let me know???? my bottom plug was kind of looking brand new when i checked them after the motor went tits up and i was told that my seal was gone and that i would be looking at approx $1000 to tear it apart and put it back together, hoping that would be the only problem found!

vancouver, british columbia

do you mean your spark plug? if so we are way different areas of the motor

i am talking about the seal in behind the prop, on lower end leg unit

You should remove the lower unit, drain the oil and pressure test it, you can make a makeshift pressure tester out of a bicycle pump. Then spray soapy water around seal areas. I expect its your shiftshaft seal as thats usually where those particular lower units leak, but dont assume, find out for sure.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

could i just put the air pressure in the vent or drain hole? i think i could use the hose that i fill it with and i have a small air hose to pump it with, how much pressure would u reccomend?

quote:Originally posted by dohboy

could i just put the air pressure in the vent or drain hole? i think i could use the hose that i fill it with and i have a small air hose to pump it with, how much pressure would u reccomend?

Yea, the fill/ drain hole. You shouldnt need any more that 5 to 10 psi.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Back