Maybe too much to ask but I need some advice

IslandJet

I'm looking to buy a boat that would allow me to:
Put in at Clutesi and, either fish the channel, head out to Bamfied and fish there, or weather permitting head off shore to fish with the big guys :p.
Here is what I'm looking at so far
24' Campion Haida Volvo V8 and leg, (no trailer) $5000
20' Double eagle 302 Ford and Volvo Penna 280 leg $6000
24' Fiberform 302 V8 Merc $5000
18' Double Eagle Yammi 150 saltwater series 2 outboard (all electronics included) $7000
These are just some that I'm looking at but not sure they will do what I need and that's what I'm asking the more experienced guys on here

What is your budget? Are you prepared to upgrade whatever boat you get to what the guys recommend for safety?

My budget is in the area I've listed and of course safety is paramount. Are any of the boats I've listed upgradeable as you might suggest or should I be looking for a different kind of boat?
Thanks

I'll give you my 45 years worth of experience on the coast , 18 Double eagle is good for the inlet and Bamfield, a little small to be out on the banks.
I've got an 185 Double Eagle and do go out off of Bamfield to 7 mile, and have been out a little further off Ukee.
I would "Not" repeat "Not" recommend it on a regular basis however. You will get complacent and get in some crap out there.
Been there, done that.
Learned from it.
An old 20 foot Double Eagle "tank" maybe more what you're looking for, however mechanical conditions of the motor etc. "Must" be considered.
Also keep in mind the amount of fuel you burn, my 185 with the 150 yamiK 4 stroke is very economical, the 20 foot with the inboard ummm not so much.
My friend had a 20 Double Eagle with an inboard "yikes" compared to mine.
Keep in mind your resale on the boats, good Double Eagles are snapped up quickly.
My buddy bought one about 8 years ago for 6K wants to sell it in awhile should get 5.5K no sweat
Pretty cheap boat for that time of use, keep in mind it is immaculate though and mechanically like new.
Good Luck
Dan.

I'll give you my 45 years worth of experience on the coast , 18 Double eagle is good for the inlet and Bamfield, a little small to be out on the banks.
I've got an 185 Double Eagle and do go out off of Bamfield to 7 mile, and have been out a little further off Ukee.
I would "Not" repeat "Not" recommend it on a regular basis however. You will get complacent and get in some crap out there.
Been there, done that.
Learned from it.
An old 20 foot Double Eagle "tank" maybe more what you're looking for, however mechanical conditions of the motor etc. "Must" be considered.
Also keep in mind the amount of fuel you burn, my 185 with the 150 yamiK 4 stroke is very economical, the 20 foot with the inboard ummm not so much.
My friend had a 20 Double Eagle with an inboard "yikes" compared to mine.
Keep in mind your resale on the boats, good Double Eagles are snapped up quickly.
My buddy bought one about 8 years ago for 6K wants to sell it in awhile should get 5.5K no sweat
Pretty cheap boat for that time of use, keep in mind it is immaculate though and mechanically like new.
Good Luck
Dan.

Hi Dan
So the one your buddy plans to sell soon is the "yikes" in terms of gas consumption?

No that one is a 16 footer. Immaculate. I'm fussy this one puts me to shame.
The Yikes was the old 20 foot tank.
Stable and comfy, but burns gas accordinally to the weight of the boat.
Nice solid ride.
Dan.

18' Double Eagle Yammi 150 saltwater series 2 outboard (all electronics included) $7000

I'd pick this one.

I've been internet shopping for 4 years. I'm starting to lean toward giving up the dream of an offshore, big expense boat for a multi-use, affordable, inshore boat that I can re-sell for 80% of what I paid in 5 years. Then go with 3 buddies and a guide for the offshore fix. 5000 more dollars will get you your share of about 14 guided trips. You can't get into a truly safe everyday offshore ready to go boat for $12000(7000+5000)from what I've seen. How much fish can you eat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back