Marine Stove for cooking

spring fever

Wooley's thread on the barby got me thinking about all the hassles I went through when I first started anchoring out and needed to cook. I was leery of propane because of the propane collecting in the bilge, didn't like alcohol-slow to heat. I found the best and safest was the Butane stoves-compact ,good heat,cheap to buy and operate. I have a diesel stove which came with the boat but they are insanely expensive to buy and probably fix. I will replace it with butane if it breaks. My back-up should I need one and survival stove is the Butane-keep it in the bow. My 2 cents for you guys who are building.

Ya I was thinking of putting a Wallace stove for cooking/heat but they are pricey and from what I have read they can be a pain in the butt if you do use them all the time.

We keep one of the butane stoves in the boat all the time. It's our main source of heat to make the coffee and heat up dinner. It was cheap to buy online. Somewhere about $25.00 shipped. Wholesale Sports carries replacement fuel canisters and Home Hardware puts 4 packs on sale from time to time so fuel is pretty cheap. My buddy bought a SS version of the stove for his boat. Pretty nice but pricey.
Dave

I have a Wallace stove with the blower top for heating. Just love it and no hint oh smell. Fuel lasts forever. Best investment I made!

Put a diesel stove in our 32fter, Love that thing! Awesome for winter trolling and cooking a nice juicy steak or burgers out their for all the guys to smell while I troll past them lol :D

The wallace stove is what I have had and used for the last 10 years.There are a couple of gotcha's everyone should know about. Change your diesel for fresh every 2 months-if it's stale AT ALL it will do an overheat shut down with a 10 min cool-down. When you start them on a house battery and if it is not right up-the fuel pump on the stove will draw down the battery below 12.1 volts-even for a second -it will shut down for a 10 min cool-down before you can try again.I always start the main engine until the stove is going without the fuel pump-about 2 min then you never get a low voltage cut out. Lastly try not fiddling with the temp knob-if you play with it a lot the nozzles carbon up and you could get an over-heat shut down and you guessed it-a 10 min cool down. You can beat the system by turning all your power off and it fools the computor into a reset. Don't do it-I spent an axious few minutes after I did that-and had smoke billowing out the side of the boat from pooled diesel which hadn't burned on the Emerg shut down. Other than that they are bullet proof. LOL

I have a small dickensen diesel stove with a small oven and I wouldn't trade it for anything. For west coast fishing you can't beat them. Aside from cooking it is our source of heat when anchored up or when running on the trolling motor. These things are pretty much trouble free, just change the fuel filter and clean the fire box out a couple times a season. New they are around 1000 but there are used ones around.

Back