Marine battery

JuandeOne

My runabout and 50hp Merc need a new battery...any suggestions. I've been using the "Crappy Tire" ones for the past few years and they always seem to die prematurely. Thanks in advance.

You need to get your self a good "Deep Cycle" MARINE Battery. Avoid "Crappy Tire" Save your self time and money and go to Trotac Marine and get your self a good battery.. will save you allot of headaches and money in the long run.

You need to get your self a good "Deep Cycle" MARINE Battery. Avoid "Crappy Tire" Save your self time and money and go to Trotac Marine and get your self a good battery.. will save you allot of headaches and money in the long run.

All so check your motor alternator/charging system, might not be charging your battery? In the off season when its not being used often, get a battery charger with trickle charge feature and leave the charger on it... your battery will last much longer...

All so check your motor alternator/charging system, might not be charging your battery? In the off season when its not being used often, get a battery charger with trickle charge feature and leave the charger on it... your battery will last much longer...

Since going to the biggest RV deep cycle I have not had any concerns.
Last year I ran for 5 days mostly on the kicker very little on the main motor "which charges the battery" in port, sockeye fishing running the stereo, gps, vhf, sounder and scotty electric down riggers an average of 3 to 4 hours a day and still had lots of power on day 6.

Cheers MyEscape

Edited by - MyEscape on 01/19/2006 06:18:13

Since going to the biggest RV deep cycle I have not had any concerns.
Last year I ran for 5 days mostly on the kicker very little on the main motor "which charges the battery" in port, sockeye fishing running the stereo, gps, vhf, sounder and scotty electric down riggers an average of 3 to 4 hours a day and still had lots of power on day 6.

Cheers MyEscape

Edited by - MyEscape on 01/19/2006 06:18:13

Just wandering through the past posts looking for interesting goodies and a question comes to mind M.E.; what was the brand name of the battery that you picked up that has lasted you so well ?
This interests me as I am coming up on year 6 of my boats battery and thinking of a replacement.
I do have a recharging hook up with my trolling motor so it helps a wee bit .

Tks

AL

Hi juan,I wen't through some battery greif,here's what i did,It worked good for me.I went boaters world,got a 1000 cranking amp marine starting battery,Then i got the largest deep cycle i could find.Here's the best thing i did, i got an inboard charger,i got a pro sport charger made by pro marine.Now all i got to do is plug it in when i'm done.It charges your lowest battery 1st.It keeps them fully charged and maintained.I got mine at cabelas for under a 100.00 This way i never have to use a conventional charger again.

thanks the runt

As mentioned, a staring battery is what you need to start your boat, not a deep cycle battery, and both sorts of batteries will NOT last long if left uncharged for long periods of time.

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Hi every body , I have been lurking around for a long time , this is my first posting. I own a 22' C-Dory with twin Yamaha . I installed the new Optima cell batteries, they are charge and start batteries , called Troll Furry . They come in a very nice plastic box at no charge. What is nice about them they are lighter than the conventional batteries , you don't have to worry about the fume . They can be mounted in any position . I have a Wallas diesel stove and heater that uses a lot of juice , two electric downriggers , and a pot puller . Those Optima are the cats meow! just love them. I also have a battery charger aboard that is pluged in when on the trailer . The life expectation for the gel batteries is supposed to be longer than the conventional one. They can be stored any where for as long as a year without needing charging! Gary SEARAM ( DODGEMAN )

Hey Juanny! Have you looked at the new deep cycle marine batteries from Canadian Tire? If they do what they advertise then they should work for you. The bottom line in batteries is cranking amps, total minutes of reserve capacity, vibration resistance (esp. on a boat) and overall quality.

The other issue is battery maintainance. When storing your boat:
- take battery out & store in a dry place, out of freezing weather,
- don't store it on metal or concrete surfaces,
- check it frequently for charge. If it drops fown put it on a trickle charger to top it up - always store a battery at full charge.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortme...523&FOLDER<>browsePath=1408474396670207

Sharp hooks and full traps!

Hi C.S those gell battery are awsome , but the warranty for Canadian tire gel battery are 18 months no questions ask replacement , and the next 18 months is prorated , same as all gel battery.
Gary

A general consideration when selecting a battery.

The more CCA's you buy, the less life you'll get - Buy only what you need and go the extra $$ for quality. Heavier MEANS better (more/thicker plates).

I bought a pair of reman 600 CCA's 5 yrs ago and they still load test fine.

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!.

Mr. Dean

Ask around before you get a marine deep cycle battery. As long as your motor charges your battery, a deep cycle is not the best choice. A deep cycle is built to disharge and be charged up again. The kind of situation that arises in a camper or in a boat where you use electric downriggers and a kicker that does not charge your battery. However, if your kicker or main motor charges your battery, there is no difference between youir boat and your vehicle. And I know that you would not use a deep cycle in your truck. Cranking power is what becomes more important.

Back