Lubing Yamaha Remote Cables

Rockfish

Out with one of my fishing buddies doing some work on my boat today. I had mentioned that the throttle and transmission cables don't last long on my boats Yami 9.9 full remote kicker, likely because the kicker is mounted on the large pod down very close to the waterline so there is lots of exposure to the chuck and they can stiffen up or break after about 3 years exposure to the salt air and water. He said he would lube them for me and they should last many years.

I was impressed with how he did it:

First he used a 12volt air pump to fill up a small portable air tanks to 55lbs.
Then he removed the connectors at the motor end and hosed clamped about about 2 feet of fuel hose onto the end of the cable.
Then he filled the fuel hose up with oil and plugged the air hose into the other end. The air hose had a metal squeeze lever on it to release the air.
We then pushed the air valve open in short pulses while working the remote controls with some paper towels under it in case we pushed oil out the other end of the cables. He said sometimes he will pump some WD40 through before the oil if it needs it to free things up and clean them out.

Really worked great and the cables controls are now smooth and any hint of stiffness is gone.

I suspect some of you already know this trick but it was new to me and should save some money and hassle by getting much longer life out of the remote control cables.

Last edited:
Another thing is to have a fairly large loop in the cables before they enter the motor....this prevents kinking and binding and eventual breaking of the cable.

Back