Lowrance lcx 112 flashes constant depth

fish brain

Crew Member
I have a Lowrance lcx 112 that came with my boat.
Every once and a while it will stop recording new depths and just flash it's last reading. I can sometimes fix it by pushing the exit button, or sometimes it will eventually start working again on it's own. The problem seems to be getting worse lasting longer and now the gps will lose it's position. Turning the unit off then back on seems to not have any effect. I have checked and cleaned all the connection terminals. I am running out of ideas. Does anyone here have any thoughts?

Are you losing bottom at all depths? You might have to change the frequency to 200 htz if it's just in deeper water. If not your transducer might be getting weak and you might have to replace it.

Thanks chinnok
yes it seems to be at all depths

Are you losing bottom at all depths? You might have to change the frequency to 200 htz if it's just in deeper water. If not your transducer might be getting weak and you might have to replace it.
Actually that is backwards. 200 khz is for shallower water with a narrower beam , Change to 50 (or 83) khz for more accurate deep water readings (less bottom detail, but the lower frequency will transmit better through the water column).

One frequency, is narrow band (12 degree) that broadcasts on 200 KHZ. (Not hz).
The other frequency, is a wide band 35 degree) that broadcasts on 50 KHZ.

From another website;

As you can see, the 200khz transducer will scan a spot on the bottom that is about 1/3 the size of the spot with the 50KHz transducer.

So, Yes, I use the dual beam transducer on my unit all of the time in freshwater conditions at all bottom depths. I run a split screen and have the 200khz on one side and the 50 KHz on the other side.

Many many times, I will spot fish - either running fast, trolling, or drifting on my 50 KHZ unit - that I never see on the 200 Khz unit.

This is where a side scan sonar like the Hummingbird would be nice, because at times, it is a bit tough to figure out - on which side of the boat the fish are located. About the only thing that a person can do, if you spot fish on the 50khz unit that you don't see on the 200 khz unit is to move the boat to one side or the other and see if you bring the fish into the beam of the 200 khz unit.

------------
Summary -
Yes, use the dual beam feature on your unit. It is a great search tool, when running fast, and for seeing suspended fish. It is also great if you happen to be running a down rigger. With the bigger cone of the 35 degree 50 khz cone - it is easy to see the downrigger ball and know that you are at the desired depth.

Then, if you are working over a specific spot - the 12 degree cone of the 200 khz unit gives a much better detailed representation of the bottom, and particularly to find fish that are resting on or near the bottom

Cheers

The fact that the GPS is being affected as well leads me to suggest you check the pins on your connections first. Just noticed you did the connections already. then check voltage to unit. Those things are voltage sensitive . These are things I learned from having troubles with my LCX. in my case it was transducer.I never had GPS issues only depth.

Good luck: Ray

Actually that is backwards. 200 khz is for shallower water with a narrower beam , Change to 50 (or 83) khz for more accurate deep water readings (less bottom detail, but the lower frequency will transmit better through the water column).

One frequency, is narrow band (12 degree) that broadcasts on 200 KHZ. (Not hz).
The other frequency, is a wide band 35 degree) that broadcasts on 50 KHZ.

From another website;

As you can see, the 200khz transducer will scan a spot on the bottom that is about 1/3 the size of the spot with the 50KHz transducer.

So, Yes, I use the dual beam transducer on my unit all of the time in freshwater conditions at all bottom depths. I run a split screen and have the 200khz on one side and the 50 KHz on the other side.

Many many times, I will spot fish - either running fast, trolling, or drifting on my 50 KHZ unit - that I never see on the 200 Khz unit.

This is where a side scan sonar like the Hummingbird would be nice, because at times, it is a bit tough to figure out - on which side of the boat the fish are located. About the only thing that a person can do, if you spot fish on the 50khz unit that you don't see on the 200 khz unit is to move the boat to one side or the other and see if you bring the fish into the beam of the 200 khz unit.

------------
Summary -
Yes, use the dual beam feature on your unit. It is a great search tool, when running fast, and for seeing suspended fish. It is also great if you happen to be running a down rigger. With the bigger cone of the 35 degree 50 khz cone - it is easy to see the downrigger ball and know that you are at the desired depth.

Then, if you are working over a specific spot - the 12 degree cone of the 200 khz unit gives a much better detailed representation of the bottom, and particularly to find fish that are resting on or near the bottom

Cheers

Oh yeah right, I got it backwards. Sorry.

I will check the voltage issue, coincidentally I broke the transducer when I was out on Monday night, so that is getting replaced regardless of the issue. What would the maximum voltage be? I have 13V on both batteries when it is sitting in my driveway.

Reading the Yamaha T8 thread I might have a regulator issue. I likely wont have the boat back in the water before I leave for Nootka on Tuesday. Can I check this in the driveway using muffs? or do I need the engine at working rpms?

Ditto on the voltage issue. I've experienced that as well. Needed to have good voltage from the battery or I lost bottom lock regularly.

Back