Lowrance Hook 7 Vs. Raymarine Dragonfly 7

Dencope

Looking to purchase a 7" GPS/sounder combo unit. I think i have it narrowed to the 2 units in the title. Does anyone have any input or experience with either of these? I know Lowrance is the leader or most popular at this level but I keep reading outstanding reviews on the Dragonfly and it seems to have better specs. Any insight before I make my purchase would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

On the Lowrance side, looks like the Hook series is a step below the HDS and Elite series of GPS/sounders. Not familiar with the Hook but do your homework as you typically get what you pay for. In the big scheme of things saving a couple hundred bucks on something as critical as your sounder and plotter may be something you regret. HDS and Elite series go on sale all the time, particularly by Cabelas so worth considering.

Cheers!

Ukee

Well the homework is the Hook has replaced the elite series. I have an Elite 7 on my back deck from 2 years ago and tried to buy another from HC-no can do-it's the hook-just put it in and everything looks and works the same-same hook-up-downloaded fish and chips-can't see any difference-save the name and that was what Denise at HC said. Sorry-can't compare it to the Garmin but coupled with an Airmar P66 ducer it is a very capable machine. 699 cdn without a transducer-but with Navionics plus-hard to beat for value!

I've always used Lowrance and they are capable units but can't match the comparable Raymarine products. Do some research online, take a look at the performance specs etc. If I had a choice it would be raymarine 100 percent.

I've always used Lowrance and they are capable units but can't match the comparable Raymarine products. Do some research online, take a look at the performance specs etc. If I had a choice it would be raymarine 100 percent.
Thanks Kelly, I've done as much research as possible and I'm going to purchace the Dragonfly 7. It currently has a $150 rebate and has better specs than the Lowrance Hook 7. However it is slightly more expensive hopefully it is worth it. I'll post an update here once I get a chance to trial it.

Thanks for all the input. Will post my review on the Dragonfly 7 once I put it through the paces.

Back